Vaccine and Immune Globulin Availability
- RabAvertexternal icon rabies vaccine (produced by Bavarian Nordic) is available with no restrictions.
- IMOVAXexternal icon rabies vaccine (produced by Sanofi Pasteur) is available from wholesalers, distributors, and directly from the manufacturer. Call Sanofi Pasteur at 1-800-VACCINE if IMOVAX is not available from your wholesaler or distributor.
Human Rabies Immune Globulin
- KEDRABexternal icon (produced by Kedrion Biopharma) is available with no restrictions.
- HyperRabexternal icon (produced by Grifols) is available with no restrictions. (HyperRab® is a more potent version of the previously licensed HyperRab™ S/Dexternal icon and requires a smaller volume to achieve the recommended 20 IU/kg dose.)
- Imogamexternal icon (produced by Sanofi Pasteur) is available with no restrictions.
*Note: HyperRab®external icon immunoglobulin product has a different concentration compared to all other rabies immunoglobulin products (including the very similarly named HyperRab™external icon S/D) and requires lower volumes to administer the recommended dose of 20 IU/kg. Care should be taken to ensure the correct dose of immunoglobulin is administered to ensure adequate immune response.
- Standard rabies exposure prevention messaging should be reinforced.
- Pets and livestock should be vaccinated against rabies as recommended.
- When possible, after an exposure, efforts should be made to safely capture the animal involved in the exposure and it should be held for observation (if a cat, dog, or ferret) or tested for rabies.
- Health providers should consult with local/state public health departments to ensure appropriate use of PEP. See: State and local rabies consultation contacts
- Persons at increased risk for rabies exposure should take appropriate precautions to avoid exposure and consider rabies pre-exposure prophylaxis according to ACIP recommendations.