Acute Q fever:
- Most cases of acute Q fever will recover without antibiotic treatment.
- Those that do require treatment can be effectively treated with the antibiotic doxycycline.
Chronic Q fever:
- Chronic Q fever is a serious infection and requires several months of antibiotic treatment.
- Chronic Q fever is treated with a combination of antibiotics including doxycycline and hydroxychloroquine for several months.
- Page last reviewed: October 23, 2016
- Page last updated: October 23, 2016
- Content source: