Steps to Wellness: A Guide to Implementing the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans in the Workplace
The Steps to Wellness is a tool kit that helps employers create or expand wellness programs by increasing the physical activity of employees. The tool kit has seven steps and provides:
- an overview of the Physical Activity Guidelines
- suggestions on how to create a wellness culture
- examples of what other companies have done
- resources to establish or strengthen a wellness program
What’s In the Kit?
Steps to create, maintain and sustain physical activity and wellness programs
- Full Report Cdc-pdf[PDF-2.73MB]
- Introduction Cdc-pdf[PDF-241KB]
- Step 1:Building Support Cdc-pdf[PDF-348KB] — Helps to make the business case for a culture of wellness that values physical activity among its employees.
- Step 2: Planning and Assessing plus case study Cdc-pdf[PDF-744KB] — Describes how to develop a Wellness Committee and the importance of creating and following time lines. It also describes several types of assessments to consider when creating or enhancing your programs.
- Step 3: Promoting plus case studies Cdc-pdf[PDF-140KB] — Describes ways to market the programs and activities to employees and discusses different incentives and rewards to consider when encouraging employee participation.
- Step 4: Implementing ideas for physical activity in the worksite Cdc-pdf[PDF-1.02MB] – Describes four different tracks a company can follow to implement a physical activity program, depending on where a company may be in its readiness to implement a program:
Step 5:Evaluation Cdc-pdf[PDF-191KB] — Provides examples of different types of evaluations and discussions about why evaluating programs is important.
- Step 6:Sharing Results Cdc-pdf[PDF-107KB] – Provides ideas on how to share your program successes with others—both internal and external to your company.
- Step 7: Sustainability Cdc-pdf[PDF-85.3KB] – Offers information on maintaining buy-in, locating additional funding sources, and leveraging state and national programs.
Resources To Get Started and Keep Going: Cdc-pdf[PDF – 366 KB]
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans At-a-Glance Cdc-pdf[PDF – 362KB]
- The Case for Physical Activity in the Workplace Cdc-pdf[PDF – 87KB]
- Organizational Assessment Cdc-pdf[PDF – 68KB]
- Reviewing Company Policies Cdc-pdf[PDF – 75KB]
- Reviewing Company Practices Cdc-pdf[PDF – 55KB]
- Employee Physical Activity Needs and Interests Survey Cdc-pdf[PDF – 79KB]