Steps to Wellness: A Guide to Implementing the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans in the Workplace
The Steps to Wellness is a tool kit that helps employers create or expand wellness programs by increasing the physical activity of employees. The tool kit has seven steps and provides:
- an overview of the Physical Activity Guidelines
- suggestions on how to create a wellness culture
- examples of what other companies have done
- resources to establish or strengthen a wellness program
What’s In the Kit?
Steps to create, maintain and sustain physical activity and wellness programs
- Full Report [PDF-2.73MB]
- Introduction [PDF-241KB]
- Step 1:Building Support [PDF-348KB] — Helps to make the business case for a culture of wellness that values physical activity among its employees.
- Step 2: Planning and Assessing plus case study [PDF-744KB] — Describes how to develop a Wellness Committee and the importance of creating and following time lines. It also describes several types of assessments to consider when creating or enhancing your programs.
- Step 3: Promoting plus case studies [PDF-140KB] — Describes ways to market the programs and activities to employees and discusses different incentives and rewards to consider when encouraging employee participation.
- Step 4: Implementing ideas for physical activity in the worksite [PDF-1.02MB] - Describes four different tracks a company can follow to implement a physical activity program, depending on where a company may be in its readiness to implement a program:
- Step 5:Evaluation [PDF-191KB] — Provides examples of different types of evaluations and discussions about why evaluating programs is important.
- Step 6:Sharing Results [PDF-107KB] - Provides ideas on how to share your program successes with others—both internal and external to your company.
- Step 7: Sustainability [PDF-85.3KB] - Offers information on maintaining buy-in, locating additional funding sources, and leveraging state and national programs.
- Resources To Get Started and Keep Going: [PDF - 366 KB]
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans At-a-Glance [PDF - 362KB]
- The Case for Physical Activity in the Workplace [PDF - 87KB]
- Organizational Assessment [PDF - 68KB]
- Reviewing Company Policies [PDF - 75KB]
- Reviewing Company Practices [PDF - 55KB]
- Employee Physical Activity Needs and Interests Survey [PDF - 79KB]
- Page last reviewed: September 9, 2015
- Page last updated: September 9, 2015
- Content source: