Why This Work Is Important
Physical inactivity affects our national security and military readiness.
- Both obesity and low levels of physical fitness increase the risk for injury among active military personnel.
- Nearly 1 in 4 young adults are too heavy to serve in our military.
Benefits of Physical Activity
Among the many benefits of physical activity are:
- Lower risk of:
- Early death.
- Coronary heart disease.
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol or triglycerides.
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Metabolic syndrome.
- Colon cancer.
- Breast cancer.
- Prevention of weight gain.
- Weight loss, particularly when combined with reduced calorie intake.
- Improved cardiorespiratory (aerobic) fitness and muscular strength.
- Prevention of falls.
- Reduced depression.
- Page last reviewed: September 5, 2018
- Page last updated: September 5, 2018
- Content source: