August 10, 2021, 3:00–4:30 PM ET: Training eSHARE webinar on Message Validation, Provisioning, and Processing System (MVPS) enhancements
August 14, 2021: Release of MVPS enhancements and consolidated data processing
August 24, 2021, 3:00–4:00 PM ET: Kick-off eSHARE webinar for annual reconciliation of 2020 National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS) data and NNDSS collection of final aggregate 2020 coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) case counts
October 29, 2021: Deadline to
- sign off on final 2020 reconciliation data and
- send NNDSS final aggregate 2020 COVID-19 case counts
June 19–23, 2022: Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) Annual Conference, Louisville, Kentucky
Updated Plan for Reconciliation of 2020 Annual NNDSS Data
Starting in late August 2021, a Data Management and Reporting (DMR) specialist from CDC’s NNDSS team will email each jurisdiction a reconciliation packet. Once a jurisdiction receives their reconciliation packet, a DMR specialist will guide the jurisdiction through the rest of the reconciliation process. The reconciliation packet will include:
- a letter with an overview of the changes to the reconciliation process for 2020 NNDSS data,
- a production calendar (timeline),
- a week-ending calendar for 2020 and 2021,
- an abbreviated event code list for 2020, and
- a copy of the jurisdiction’s reconciliation tables and instructions for reviewing the reconciliation tables.
The process to reconcile 2020 NNDSS data will be like previous years, with some exceptions. Jurisdictions will be able to view the processing of all case notification formats in MVPS and download a line list of cases for comparison as part of their reconciliation process. The State and Territorial Epidemiologist sign-off process will be done through email, as in previous years.
CDC will offer training about MVPS and the 2020 reconciliation procedures on the August 24, 3:00-4:00pm eSHARE call. The deadline for State and Territorial Epidemiologist approval of the final 2020 data is Friday, October 29, 2021.
Process for 2020 Final NNDSS COVID-19 Data
The 2020 final NNDSS COVID-19 data will not be reconciled; however, CDC will collect final 2020 NNDSS aggregate COVID-19 case counts.
- CDC will provide jurisdictions with an Excel spreadsheet containing instructions and information about the aggregate data needed for the 2020 NNDSS tables.
- Jurisdictions will submit their final aggregate case counts in an Epi Info web form. The Excel spreadsheet will provide jurisdictions with a preview of the data that will need to be entered into the Epi Info web form.
- State and Territorial Epidemiologists will “sign off” on the aggregate 2020 COVID-19 case counts within the Epi Info web form.
- CDC will use aggregate case counts in the 2020 NNDSS annual tables.
The tables will include confirmed, probable, and total cases of COVID-19 among U.S. residents, with stratifications by jurisdiction of residence, sex, age group, a combined race and ethnicity field, and month (based on Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report weeks).
Jurisdictions should plan to send their final aggregate 2020 COVID-19 case counts to CDC by October 29, 2021, which is the same deadline for submitting final 2020 data for other NNDSS conditions.
CDC will hold two eSHARE webinars in August 2021.
August 10, 2021, 3:00 – 4:30 PM EDT
Mark your calendar for the next NNDSS eSHARE session, scheduled for Tuesday, August 10, 2021, from 3:00-4:30 PM EDT, which will highlight new features in MVPS. Users will be able to see and do more with their data, including data from National Electronic Telecommunications System for Surveillance (NETSS) and NEDSS Base System Master Message transmissions.
August 24, 2021, 3:00 – 4:00 PM EDT
Stay tuned for additional details on the Tuesday, August 24th session, scheduled from 3:00–4:00 PM EDT to kick-off annual reconciliation for the 2020 NNDSS data and NNDSS collection of final aggregate 2020 COVID-19 case counts.
To join a webinar, please see your Outlook invitation or contact the CDC Electronic Data Exchange mailbox at email@example.com for login information.
Message Mapping Guides Now Reflect NNDSS Website Update
The NNDSS team has now updated and posted all message mapping guides (MMGs) with new web addresses to reflect the new NNDSS website.
Although these updates ensure that users can easily link to needed information, they do not impact the message format or content. The updated MMGs are identified by an increment in the third component of the version number. The generic v.2.0.1 MMG also incorporates the new data element prioritization format (R,1,2,3).
COVID-19 Message Mapping Guide
- The PHIN Vocabulary Access and Distribution System (VADS) COVID-19 Case Notification View version 8 is now available. It includes three new additional values to Lab Test Type (COVID-19).
- An updated COVID-19 MMG v1.0.1 and the “COVID Lite” test case scenarios worksheet (TCSW), as well as associated test scenarios, have been posted to the NNDSS website. The COVID-19 MMG v1.0.1 TCSW tab now contains vaccine information that aligns with the values present in the “COVID Lite” TCSW. Both documents’ TCSW tabs now align with the same test values. Additionally, COVID-19 MMG v.1.0.1 includes formatting updates being applied across all guides to include updated language to accept all version 3 series PHIN Messaging Specification Guides for Case Notification, updated URLs to connect to the new NNDSS website, and clarification of the Y/# repeat column descriptor.
Congratulations to Maryland, recently in production for Genv2 (COVID-19 only)!
If you are interested in joining a cohort or onboarding an MMG, please email the CDC Electronic Data Exchange mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Final Guides||Piloting||Onboarding||In Production||Total|
Spotlight: Job aids for the redesigned Message Validation, Processing, and Provisioning System portal
CDC is developing several job aids and other resources to help jurisdictions and CDC programs learn to use new features available in the new version of the MVPS portal. The redesigned MVPS is currently planned for release on August 14th, 2021.
Job aids planned for release alongside the redesigned MVPS portal include:
- Low-incidence Case Verification Process for Jurisdiction Users,
- Low-incidence Case Verification Process for CDC Program Users,
- “Delete a Case” Process Job Aid for Jurisdiction Users, and
- NETSS Year-to-Date File Processing Job Aid for Jurisdiction Users.
Additional learning resources will be released later in August or early in September. These include:
- a job aid on best practices for jurisdiction data monitoring and
- new and updated user guide information for the “MVPS help” section of the MVPS portal.
The job aids will be posted in MVPS as they are completed. If you have questions about these learning resources or the upcoming MVPS redesign, email us at email@example.com.