Vendor/Implementer Technical Details
National Health Care Surveys Implementation Guide
The information provided in this section is based on the 2015 Edition Health IT certification criteria. 45 CFR 170.315(f)(7), Transmission to Public Health Agencies – Health Care Surveys, an electronic health records incentives program criterion, is included in the Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) Stage 3 final ruleExternal and the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) 2015 Edition final ruleExternal.
The standards and format for 45 CFR 170.315(f)(7), Transmission to Public Health Agencies – Health Care Surveys is:
- HL-7 CDA documents as described by the Implementation Guide for the National Health Care Surveys which are the preferred format for submission of data and the format required for Stage 3 accreditation for this measure. The Implementation Guide for the National Health Care SurveysExternal.
Certification/Testing Procedures and NIST Validator
Additional guidance is available on the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) 2015 Edition Test Method web page and provides the certification requirements set forth under the ONC Health IT Certification Program:
- Certification Companion GuideExternal*
- Testing ProceduresExternal and
- Testing Tool: NIST’s HL7 CDA National Health Care Surveys ValidatorExternal
* Important Note: According to the May 2017 Certification Companion Guide, “ONC will permit and provide testing and certification for conformance to NHCS IG Release 1.2 to meet this criterion.” While vendors already certified to Release 1 are not required to certify to Release 1.2, Release 1.2 is NCHS’s preferred version of the Implementation Guide, and reflects vendor community comments for improvement over earlier versions.