What are examples of topics that have been added in past surveys?
In the past, organizations have sponsored whole surveys as well as questions or modules on the topics listed below. Note that questions can be added to collect information at the health care provider-level, the facility-level, the encounter/visit-level, or all three.
National Electronic Health Records Survey (NEHRS): 2012 – present, sponsored by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC).
National Hospital Care Survey (NHCS): 2011 – present, funding from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have helped fund the core survey.
- Enhance linkage to data from both Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) and the National Death Index (NDI): 2015 & 2017 – sponsored by the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Trust Fund (PCORTF) thru the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of the Secretary (OS), Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE).
National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) Supplements
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (STD PrEP): 2016 – present, sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention.
- Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS): 2016, sponsored by DHHS OS Office of Minority Health.
- National Survey of Primary Care Physicians: 2016, sponsored by CDC’s Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (DHDSP).
- Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention: 2015 – present, sponsored by CDC’s National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities.
- Physician Workforce: 2013-2016, sponsored by DHHS OS ASPE.
- Asthma Supplement: 2012, sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI), CDC’s National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH), CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), the Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Air and Radiation (EPA), Merck Child Asthma Network (MCAN), the National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), NIH’s Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), and the National Institute of Environmental Health Services (NIEHS).
- Electronic Medical Records Supplement: 2008-2011, sponsored by ONC.
National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS) Supplements
- Cervical Cancer Screening: 2006 – 2010, sponsored by the CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP).
- Pandemic and Emergency Response Preparedness: 2008, sponsored by DHHS OS ASPE.
- Emergency Pediatric Services and Equipment: 2002, 2003, and 2006; sponsored by the Health Resources and Services Administration.
- Bioterrorism and Mass Casualty Preparedness: 2003-2004, sponsored by DHHS OS ASPE.
National Nursing Home Survey (NNHS) Supplement
- National Nursing Assistant Survey (NNAS): 2000 – 2004, sponsored by DHHS OS ASPE.
National Home and Hospice Care Survey (NHHCS) Supplement
- National Home Health Aide Survey (NHHAS): 2003 – 2007, sponsored by DHHS OS ASPE.
National Survey of Residential Care Facilities (NSRCF): 2006 – 2010, funding from DHHS OS ASPE, CDC’s NCCDPHP, CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) helped to fund the core survey.