Control Mosquitoes Outside Your Home
Remove Standing Water Where Mosquitoes Lay Eggs
- Once a week, empty and scrub, turn over, cover, or throw out any items that hold water like tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpot saucers, or trash containers. Mosquitoes lay eggs near water.
- Tightly cover water storage containers (buckets, cisterns, rain barrels) so mosquitoes cannot get inside to lay eggs.
- For containers without lids, use wire mesh with holes smaller than an adult mosquito.
- Fill tree holes to prevent them from filling with water.
- If you have a septic tank, repair cracks or gaps. Cover open vent or plumbing pipes. Use wire mesh with holes smaller than an adult mosquito.
Kill Mosquito Larvae Outside Your Home
- Use larvicides to treat large bodies of water that will not be used for drinking and cannot be covered or dumped out.
- When using larvicides, always follow label instructions.
Kill Mosquitoes Outside Your Home
- Use an outdoor adulticide to kill adult mosquitoes in areas where they rest.
- Mosquitoes rest in dark, humid areas like under patio furniture or under the carport or garage. When using insecticides, always follow label instructions.
Page last reviewed: August 25, 2020