Prepare Application Information and Materials
Use the following list to help you gather and draft the information that you and your recommendation writers will be prompted to enter into the application portal.
- Update your CV.
- Write your personal statement by considering these questions:
- What influences are inspiring you to pursue a career in public health service?
- Describe how this fellowship will help you achieve your career goals?
- Identify two people who can provide recommendations on your behalf using our standardized online form.
- Select 2 individuals who have served in a supervisory or mentoring role and are familiar with your academic achievements, aspirations, personal qualities, and professional attributes. These individuals should provide recommendations specific to your LLS fellowship application.
- Request/confirm their email address.
- Tell recommendation writers to expect a system-generated email from LLS@cdc.gov with instructions for electronically submitting their responses to questions in a standardized recommendation form.
- Obtain copies of transcripts for all earned degrees.Your application requires copies of unofficial transcripts for all earned degrees or qualifying degrees in progress.
- You will be prompted in the online application form for your college/university education, which will enable you to browse a school listing and attach a PDF version of your unofficial transcripts.
- Transcripts must state your degree of study, courses taken, earned grades, and graduation date if the degree has been conferred.
- If your degree requires a completed thesis or dissertation, you must have defended your thesis or dissertation on or before March 31 of the year you enter LLS, and you will need to submit your transcripts with conferred degree as soon as they become available.
- When a transcript is issued by a non-U.S. institution:
- A foreign credential evaluation is required at the time the application is submitted for all degrees for which English-language transcripts are not available. A credential evaluation service is not the same as a translation service.
- If any academic institutions you attended are unable to issue your transcripts, you must contact the LLS program via email at LLS@cdc.gov for further instructions.
- All documents must be in English.
- Transcripts and other proof of degree completion will not be returned to you.
- Do not send high school transcripts.
- For applicants accepted into the LLS program, you are required to send official transcripts by mail to the following address. Official transcripts must be received by January 31 of the year your fellowship begins.
Laboratory Leadership Service
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30329-4018