Review Salary and Benefits Information
The application period for LLS Class of 2023 has been extended and is open now through May 13, 2022.
Incoming LLS fellows may have a choice of hiring mechanisms depending on citizenship status and other factors.
- U.S. citizens have two options
- Civil Service (under Title-42 Fellowships and Other Training Programs)
- U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps
- U.S. permanent residents are eligible only for civil service
Upon initial appointment, the Title-42 fellowship entry grade will be set comparable to the Federal Government General Schedule (GS) base pay rate equivalent of GS-12, step 3 regardless of previous experience and compensation. An additional locality pay, for non-medical LLS fellows, is based on the location of the official duty station.
Additional incentives include:
- Thrift Savings Plan
- Federal Employees Retirement System Benefit Plan
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan
- Federal Employees Group Life Insurance
- Federal Employees Vision and Dental Insurance Program
- 4 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave every 2 weeks (13 days total of each)
U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps (U.S. Citizens Only)
The USPHS is one of the seven Uniformed Services. It is a specialized career system designed to attract, develop, and retain health professionals to accomplish its mission.
Incoming LLS fellows must meet eligibility criteria for the Commissioned Corps:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be less than 44 years of age (at date of entry into LLS)
- Have a degree in an appropriate health-related discipline
- Meet medical standards
LLS fellows may be eligible to receive student loan repayment, based on availability of funding, for a 2-year service agreement. The LLS program will give priority consideration to pre-matched fellows and/or those assigned to field locations. Only federally made, insured, or guaranteed student loans are eligible for repayment consideration. Consolidated loans of both an LLS fellow and spouse would not be eligible. Please visit our loan repayment page for more information.