This course is part of the Microbiology Series.
To function effectively in a microbiology laboratory, laboratorians must have a basic knowledge and understanding of the components, setup, procedures, and care and maintenance of a bright field (compound) microscope. This eLearning course will instruct participants on the importance of a correctly setup bright field microscope for the identification of microorganisms.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the major components of the microscope and their function
- Identify how to maintain a microscope
- Discuss the role of Kohler illumination in microscopy
- Describe the process to correctly focus on the appropriate field of view
- Use the ocular micrometer to measure an object under the microscope
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot encountered problems with the microscope
Continuing Education Units (CEU)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Laboratory Systems, Laboratory Training and Services Branch, is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® Program. This course is approved for 1.0 contact hour of P.A.C.E. ® credit.
P.A.C.E.® Course Number: 288-010-19