Basic Culture Media
This course is part of the Basic Microbiology eLearning Curriculum.
This eLearning course familiarizes laboratory professionals with basic culture media used in the microbiology laboratory. Laboratory professionals review and contrast the various culture medias, describe the process of streaking a plate, identify types of colonial morphology and explain commonly encountered problems that occur with culture media.
At the conclusion of this eLearning, you will be able to:
- Distinguish enrichment, differential, and selective media
- Review the principles of the most commonly used media
- Contrast various culture media
- Describe the steps of streaking a plate
- Interpret results on various culture media
- Recognize the different types of colonial morphology
- Identify commonly encountered problems with basic culture media
Continuing Education Credits (CEU)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Laboratory Systems, Laboratory Training and Services Branch, is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® Program. This course is approved for 1.0 contact hour of P.A.C.E. ® credit.
P.A.C.E. ® Course Number: 288-008-18
This course has been approved for 1.0 contact hours in the category of Microbiology/Mycology/Parasitology for Florida Laboratory Licensees.
Florida Course Number: 20-435308
Length of Course