Social Network Strategy for HIV Testing Recruitment
Social Network Strategy (SNS) is an evidence-supported approach to engaging and motivating a person to accept a service that is based on the underlying principle that persons within the same social network who know, trust, and can exert influence on each other share the same risks and risk behaviors for HIV. SNS is particularly useful to recruit persons at risk for HIV into testing.
About Social Network Strategy for HIV Testing Recruitment
Social Network Strategy (SNS) for HIV Testing Recruitment is based on the underlying principle that persons within the same social network who know, trust, and can exert influence on each other share the same risks and risk behaviors for HIV. The approach to SNS includes identifying clients or peers who are HIV positive or at high risk for HIV and enlisting them to become Recruiters. Unlike peer advocates or peer educators, Recruiters are short term and require coaching rather than training and supervision.
The Recruiters identify Network Associates (NAs) in their social networks (e.g., friends, sex or drug partners, family members, etc.) who may be at risk for HIV and who they believe would benefit from HIV testing. The Recruiters talk with the NAs they identified, and refer or accompany them to HIV testing.
- Recruiter Enlistment
- Recruitment of Network Associates
- HIV Testing
This training has 1 component:
- 16-hour in-person classroom training
To access eLearning modules, including classroom training prerequisite courses:
- Log-in to CDC TRAINexternal icon and access the HIV CBA Training Plan (step-by-step instructionspdf iconexternal icon are available).
- Select the module you wish to take.
- Launch the module or save the module for later.
To request that a classroom training be scheduled:
- CDC’s directly funded health department and CBO partners may request delivery of a CDC-supported training by submitting a request in the CBA Tracking System.
- Organizations not directly funded by CDC may contact their local health department for assistance in submitting a training request.
Implementation and Marketing Materials
The materials and resources listed below support the implementation and/or marketing of Social Network Strategy for HIV Testing Recruitment by health departments, community-based organizations, and health care or other organizations. The resources are evidence-based and designed for cost-effective, scalable implementation.