Updated November 22, 2021
Libraries of all types, including public and medical libraries, are important partners in community-based health literacy efforts. Librarians advance health literacy in their communities through a variety of methods:
- Providing Internet access and showing people how to find reliable online information
- Conducting literature searches
- Printing resources
- Referring people to local health services
- Distributing and posting information
Many libraries support basic literacy programs for children and adults.
Begin or expand your educational and community health literacy activities by collaborating with libraries.
The resources on this page can help librarians and other information professionals recognize and respond to community members’ health information and communication needs. The resources may also help other individuals and organizations identify common interests and opportunities to work with libraries.
- How Does NNLM Support Health Literacy?external icon (Network of the National Library of Medicine 2021)
The Network of the National Library of Medicine provides health literacy training, resources, and funding. Find all of that and more, including videos showing some of their funded health literacy initiatives in action.
- Health Information for Immigrants, Refugees and Migrants
(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2021)
This communication toolkit helps libraries and other community organizations provide prevention and safety messages to populations, including refugees, who may need messaging in their native languages.
- Health Information in Multiple Languagesexternal icon (MedlinePlus 2021)
Browse health information in multiple languages, arranged by health topic. You can also browse this information by language.
- Health Literacy Studiesexternal icon (Harvard School of Public Health 2019)
Explore this site for health literacy research findings, policy reports, tools for translating research into action, and resources on integrating health literacy into your work.
- Information for Trainers and Librariansexternal icon (MedlinePlus)
This site provides training resources you can use to teach people how to use MedlinePlus to find high-quality health and wellness information.