Organizations and Committees
Many government agencies and academic, for-profit, and non-profit organizations
- Have health literacy programs
- Participate in committee meetings with other parties that work in the health literacy field
- Contribute to health literacy plans and reports
This page links to the health literacy web resources of federal agencies, international organizations, and the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and its agencies contribute to the science and practice of health literacy improvement. Learn what agencies are doing about health literacy.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Health Literacyexternal icon
- Food and Drug Administration Strategic Plan for Risk Communicationexternal icon (FDA)
- FDA Risk Communication Advisory Committeeexternal icon (Food & Drug Administration 2011)
- Health Resources and Services Administration: Health Literacyexternal icon
- Indian Health Service: Welcome to Healthcare Communicationsexternal icon
- National Institutes of Health: Clear Communication: Health Literacyexternal icon
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion: Health Literacyexternal icon
- Office of Minority Health Cultural and Linguistic Competencyexternal icon
The National Institute of Food and Agricultureexternal icon (NIFA), U.S. Department of Agriculture, sponsors nutrition, health, and wellness programsexternal icon and is a partner with the Cooperative Extension System and its National Framework for Health and Wellnessexternal icon. NIFA distributes federal funds for state and local programs and provides national leadership in food and agricultural sciences.
Find information about health literacy activities in countries other than the United States.
- Asian Health Literacy Associationexternal icon
- Canada, The Center for Literacyexternal icon
- Canadian Public Health Association Health Literacy Portalexternal icon
- Global Working Group on Health Literacyexternal icon
- Health Literacy New Zealandexternal icon
- Health Literacy United Kingdomexternal icon
- International Health Literacy Associationexternal icon
- Ireland National Adult Literacy Agencyexternal icon
- Shanghai Declaration on promoting health in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Developmentexternal icon
The Roundtable on Health Literacyexternal icon brings together leaders from academia, industry, government, foundations and associations, and representatives of patient and consumer interests to improve health literacy. The Roundtable produces reports about many health literacy issues and posts them on the National Academies’ website.
The Roundtable on Value & Science-Driven Health Careexternal icon draws on insights and leadership from the scientific, clinical, commercial, voluntary, and public sectors to improve the communication and understanding of evidence important to decision-making in health care. The Roundtable issues reports on patient engagement and other issues related to health literacy.