National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy
The National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy [666 KB, 73 Pages], released May 2010 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, seeks to engage organizations, professionals, policymakers, communities, individuals, and families in a linked, multi-sector effort to improve health literacy. The plan includes seven broad goals with multiple high level strategies for various stakeholders and provides a focal point for the field.
The plan is based on the principles that (1) everyone has the right to health information that helps them make informed decisions and (2) health services should be delivered in ways that are understandable and beneficial to health, longevity, and quality of life.
What is the Vision of the Plan?
The National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy provides a blueprint for efforts to improve health literacy and calls for a response from all sectors involved in health information and services to create a society that:
- Provides everyone access to accurate, actionable health information;
- Delivers person-centered health information and services; and
- Supports life-long learning and skills to promote good health
What are the 7 Goals in the Plan?
- Goal 1: Develop and disseminate health and safety information that is accurate, accessible, and actionable
- Goal 2: Promote changes in the healthcare delivery system that improve information, communication, informed decision-making, and access to health services
- Goal 3: Incorporate accurate and standards-based health and developmentally appropriate health and science information and curricula into child care and education through the university level
- Goal 4: Support and expand local efforts to provide adult education, English-language instruction, and culturally and linguistically appropriate health information services in the community
- Goal 5: Build partnerships, develop guidance, and change policies
- Goal 6: Increase basic research and the development, implementation, and evaluation of practices and interventions to improve health literacy
- Goal 7: Increase the dissemination and use of evidence-based health literacy practices and interventions.
How Can I Use the Plan?
You can use the plan as a framework for developing your own organizational plan or for providing a justification for your efforts to address health literacy.
Additionally, the plan can be used to help guide your strategic actions by following the steps below:
- Review: Examine your organization’s priorities and programs and ask, how could attention to health literacy improve our services and outcomes?
- Choose: Identify the most relevant goals and strategies in the Plan for your programs
- Try: Plan and implement strategies
- Evaluate: Assess the effectiveness of chosen strategies
- Page last reviewed: December 19, 2016
- Page last updated: December 19, 2016
- Content source: