Federally Funded Research
The federal government supports and encourages health literacy research in several ways. Below you can find funding opportunities, and research and training initiatives from the National Institutes of Health and U.S. Department of Education.
Health Literacy Research
- Research Underway in Health Literacy Supported by NIH (NIH 2010)External
NIH has funded the development of some health literacy research tools including surveys.
- Adult Literacy ResearchExternal – Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education, the Reading Research Network supports six study teams investigating the effectiveness of adult literacy interventions for low literate adults.
- Research supported by the NIH Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), Child Development and Behavior Branch
- Early Learning and School Readiness ProgramExternal (NIH National Institute of Child Health & Human Development 2010)
- Language, Bilingualism and BiliteracyExternal (NIH National Institute of Child Health & Human Development 2010)
- Reading, Writing and Related Learning Disabilities ProgramExternal (NIH National Institute of Child Health & Human Development 2010)
Plain Language for Grant Writing