Health Care Providers and Systems
Health care providers are a community’s gateway to many health services. Providers and health care systems are also trusted sources of information for many people. The resources on this page can help health care providers and systems recognize and respond to patients’ information and communication needs. The resources may also help other individuals and organizations identify common interests and opportunities to work with health care providers and health services organizations.
- Patient Education Practice Guidelines for Health Care Professionalsexternal icon (Health Care Education Association 2020)
These guidelines provide concise directions for frontline health care professionals to deliver effective patient education.
Health Literacy and Clear Communication Best Practices for Telemedicineexternal icon(Coleman, Health Literacy Research and Practice 2020)
This article describes best practices for telephonic and two-way video encounters between providers and patients.
- Patient Engagement and Educationexternal icon(Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality [AHRQ] 2020)
This web page lists and describes AHRQ resources to help health care professionals educate their patients and involve patients in their care.
- Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Health Literacy Item Setsexternal icon (AHRQ 2012)
This survey asks about providers’ efforts to foster and improve the health literacy of patients.
- HLE2: The Health Literacy Environment of Hospitals and Health Centerspdf iconexternal icon (Harvard School of Public Health 2019)
This is a tool to identify and assess facilitating factors and barriers to health information, care, and services
- Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkitexternal icon (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 2010)
This toolkit can help primary care practices reduce the complexity of health care, increase patient understanding of health information, and enhance support for patients of all health literacy levels.
- How Well Do Your Patients Understand? Improving the Health Literacy Environment of Hospitalsexternal icon (Health Literacy Wisconsin 2010)
This is a case study that tested a collaborative model between a hospital and adult literacy students to identify health literacy barriers.
- Improving the Health Literacy of Hospitals: A Collaborative Guide for Literacy Organizationsexternal icon (Health Literacy Wisconsin 2010)
This case study describes the processes necessary to cultivate a successful collaboration between hospitals and literacy organizations in order to improve the health literacy environment for patients.
Pharmacy Health Literacy Assessment Toolexternal icon (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 2007).
This tool is designed to capture perspectives of three critical audiences: objective auditors, pharmacy staff, and patients.