Community-Based Organizations COVID-19 Vaccine Toolkit
Educating Communities on the Importance of COVID-19 Vaccines
Soon the communities you serve will have access to vaccines to help protect against COVID-19. CDC has designed this toolkit to help community-based organizations (CBOs) educate communities and promote this important prevention tool.
Who is this toolkit for?
This toolkit is designed for staff of organizations serving communities affected by COVID-19. These CBOs could include social service organizations, faith-based organizations, YMCAs/YWCAs, fraternities, school organizations (e.g., PTAs/PTOs), meal delivery services, senior centers, and others.
What is the purpose of this toolkit?
This toolkit will help your organization share clear and accurate information to educate community members about COVID-19 vaccines, raise awareness about the benefits of vaccination, and address common questions and concerns.
If you are not already working with your local health department, consider reaching out for assistance. The health department’s immunization program can help coordinate vaccination clinics, provide speakers for presentations, and offer other types of expertise.
- Adapt the key messages to the language, tone, and format that will resonate with your community. YOU know what works in your community
- Customize the template letter and send or email it to your community members to introduce your COVID-19 vaccine educational activities.
- Print copies of communication resources and use them as handouts or to hang in highly visible places in your community.
- Organize a COVID-19 vaccine presentationppt icon for your community members and promote it via digital and community communication channels. If your community has internet access, organize a virtual presentation. If it does not, organize an in-person presentation following COVID-19 safety precautions. Ask if your local health department can provide a speaker if you do not have a health educator on staff.
- Have open discussions. Create and publicize a feedback mechanism for members of your community to ask questions about COVID-19 vaccination (email inbox, phone number, point of contact).
- Acknowledge that certain communities and groups have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19 infections and severe outcomes, and that some might have had previous experiences that affect their trust and confidence in the health system.
- Provide accurate information about the benefits, safety, side effects, and vaccine effectiveness.
- Continue to educate your community via articles, blog posts, and social media posts. Tailor information for your community and include graphics if you can.
- Learn more about finding credible vaccine information. Get the facts to respond to misinformation you might encounter.
- Encourage leaders in your districts to be vaccine champions and share testimonials about why they got vaccinated. Promote their stories in your communities.
- Encourage social support. Invite your staff to wear stickers once they have been vaccinated and post vaccination selfies on social media.
Implementing COVID-19 Vaccination in Your Community?
Resources are available to help you. The National Forum on COVID-19 Vaccine shared a variety of materials and resources, including information on Equitable Vaccine Implementation pdf icon[162KB, 2 pages], Engaging Community-Based Organizations to be Vaccination Partners pdf icon[251KB, 1 page], and Increasing Vaccine Confidence through Communication and Community Engagement pdf icon[329KB, 2 pages].
- Introductory letter: Send this letter to encourage your branches, chapters, or affiliates to review and use the toolkit materials.
- Letter to members: Customize this letter about COVID-19 vaccination to send to your members.
- Newsletter content: This short newsletter-style blurb can be widely distributed to share information on COVID-19 vaccines.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Basics (Slide Deck) ppt icon[9 MB] (also available in Spanish ppt icon[4 MB]): These basic slides about COVID-19 vaccines are for virtual town halls or other informational meetings within your communities. You can use all or part of the set or also include your own organization’s information.
- Print Resources: These posters, factsheets, and other print resources encourage and support community members in their decision to get vaccinated. You can print and post them in your buildings and other community locations.
- COVID-19 vaccine factsheet: This plain language fact sheet is available in several languages.
- Social media content: These messages and images are for use on various social media channels that your organization uses, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. You can use them as-is with the hashtag #SleeveUp or include your own identity.
- Stickers: Print stickers for community members who have been vaccinated to wear.
These digital and print communication resources may help explain, encourage, and support community members in their decision to get vaccinated. You can print and post them in your buildings and other community locations.
This comic-book style graphic tells the story of a daycare worker’s decision to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
A safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine is now available (also available in Spanish and Haitian Creole)
Printable stickers for staff to handout to people who have received a COVID-19 vaccine.
Compatible with full-sheet sticker paper or standard precut 1 2/3” labels.
View and Download COVID-19 Vaccine Stickers (available in Spanish)
These messages and images are for use on various social media channels that your organization uses, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. You can use them as-is with the hashtag #SleeveUp or include your own identity.
Sample Social Media Message
- I got the shot to do my part in stopping #COVID19. Learn how and where you can get your COVID-19 vaccine, too. https://vaccinefinder.org/external icon
- Have you scheduled your COVID-19 vaccine appointment? Vaccination works better when we do it together. #SleeveUp for a future safe from #COVID19. Find your vaccine site at https://vaccinefinder.org/external icon
- Vaccines save lives. Protect yourself and your loved ones by getting the COVID-19 vaccine. Learn more to build your vaccine confidence here: https://vaccinefinder.org/external icon
- Spread hope, not COVID-19. #SleeveUp and learn how to get vaccinated today. Find your #COVID19 vaccine site: https://vaccinefinder.org/external icon
- Are you ready to get back to the people and activities you love? Your vaccination brings us one day closer to controlling the pandemic. Find your COVID-19 vaccination site: https://vaccinefinder.org/external icon
Additional Social Media Messages