Travelers Returning from Cruise Ship and River Cruise Voyages
CDC recommends that all people defer travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide. That’s because the risk of COVID-19 on cruise ships is high. People with an increased risk of serious illness should especially defer travel on cruise ships, including river cruises. CDC has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for cruise ship travel.
On March 14, 2020, CDC issued a No Sail Order and Suspension of Further Embarkation for cruise ships operating in US waters; the No Sail Order was extended on July 16, 2020.
Passengers who return from a cruise ship or river cruise voyage are advised to take extra precautions to protect others for 14 days after arrival
What to do if you get sick after travel
If you get sick with fever, cough, or other symptoms of COVID-19:
- Stay home and take other precautions. Avoid contact with others until it’s safe for you to end home isolation.
- Don’t travel when you are sick.
- You might have COVID-19. If you do, know that most people are able to recover at home without medical care.
- Stay in touch with your doctor. Call before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room and let them know you might have COVID-19.
- If you have an emergency warning sign (including trouble breathing), get emergency medical care immediately.
- If you live in close quarters with others, take additional precautions to protect them.
If you have a medical appointment that cannot be postponed, call your doctor’s office and tell them you have or may have COVID-19. This will help the office protect themselves and other patients.
- Your return travel plans may be impacted. Foreign health officials may implement formal quarantine procedures if they identify a case of COVID-19 aboard your cruise ship.
- If you travel on a cruise ship or river cruise and disembark in a foreign port, you might not be able to receive appropriate medical care or be medically evacuated if you get sick.
- Some countries might refuse to dock your ship or allow passengers to disembark.