How to Wash Cloth Face Coverings
How to clean
- You can include your face covering with your regular laundry.
- Use regular laundry detergent and the warmest appropriate water setting for the cloth used to make the face covering.
Washing by hand
- Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
- 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water or
- 4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water
- Check the label to see if your bleach is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products, such as those designed for safe use on colored clothing, may not be suitable for disinfection. Ensure the bleach product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
- Soak the face covering in the bleach solution for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
Make sure to completely dry cloth face covering after washing.
How to dry
- Use the highest heat setting and leave in the dryer until completely dry.
- Lay flat and allow to completely dry. If possible, place the cloth face covering in direct sunlight.
- Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings
- How to Wear Your Cloth Face Covering
- How to Wash Your Cloth Face Covering
- Video: U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Jerome Adams- How to Make Your own Face Covering
- Important Information About Your Cloth Face Coveringspdf iconpdf icon
- ASL Video Series: Easy DIY Cloth Face Covering
- How To Make Your Own Face Covering Video (Spanish)
Page last reviewed: May 22, 2020