On February 11, 2020 the World Health Organization announced an official name for the disease that is causing the current outbreak of coronavirus disease, COVID-19. CDC will be updating our website and other CDC materials to reflect the updated name.
Pandemic Preparedness Resources
While the content at the links provided below was developed to prepare for, or respond to, an influenza (“flu”) pandemic, the newly emerged coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory disease that seems to be spreading much like flu. Guidance and tools developed for pandemic influenza planning and preparedness can serve as appropriate resources for health departments in the event the current COVID-19 outbreak triggers a pandemic.
- Pandemic Planning and Preparedness Resources
- Pandemic Influenza Plan (UPDATED 2017) pdf icon[1 MB, 52 pages]
- Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza — United States, 2017
- Nonpharmaceutical Interventions (NPIs)
- NPI 101: An Introduction to Nonpharmaceutical Interventions (NPIs) for Pandemic Influenza CDC TRAIN courseexternal icon