Get and Keep America Open: Supporting states, tribes, localities, and territories
Updated May 27, 2020
Guidance and resources for state, tribal, local, and territorial health departments on staffing the public health workforce.
- Strengthening the public health workforce. Enhancing frontline public health capacity in state, local, tribal, and territorial health departments to intensify the coordinated response to COVID-19 is critical.
Resources from CDC
CDC is using a multi-pronged approach to help enhance and complement the efforts of state, tribal, local, and territorial staff. This initiative will help health departments with the staffing resources they need for their programs to get and keep America open.
- Federal Resources for COVID-19 Contact Tracing Staffingpdf icon: This fact sheet describes several ways health departments can access additional staffing for COVID-19 contact tracing, including through State Service Commissions and AmeriCorps Programs, CDC, and FEMA.
- COVID-19 Staffing Guidance: CDC COVID-19 staffing guidance for state, tribal, local, and territorial health departments.
- CDC’s COVID-19 Response Corps. The COVID Response Corps is a part of CDC’S multi-pronged approach to help enhance and complement the efforts of state, tribal, local, and territorial staff through innovative hiring mechanisms. This initiative will help provide access to a variety of mechanisms to complement local efforts to increase workforce capacity.
- CDC Foundation: COVID-19 Corps Jobs.external icon In support of CDC’S COVID-19 Response Corps, the CDC Foundation is urgently recruiting candidates for critical positions nationwide. Interested parties should go to the CDC Foundation website and apply directly for positions.
- COVID-19 Training Resources.external icon CDC’s COVID-19 trainings are available on TRAIN, a national learning network that provides training opportunities to professionals who protect and improve the public’s health.
CDC COVID-19 Response Staff Deployed Across America
*These numbers reflect data from May 27, 2020 – number of staff can change daily.
This map shows CDC deployments and CDC field staff. There are currently 620 CDC staff working in state, tribal, local and territorial health agencies. Twelve staff are currently deployed to support Navajo Nation and six staff are deployed to the Hopi Tribe (not shown on map).
These charts show CDC field team deployments and quarantine station deployments by date. These charts are updated weekly and reflect data from May 27, 2020.
Resources from Other Organizations
Content describing non-CDC tools on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to indicate endorsement, actual or implied, of the tools. Additionally, information on this site is provided “as is,” for users to evaluate and make their own determination as to their effectiveness.
Private Sector, Non-governmental Organizations and Academia
Various other organizations are also supporting this critical effort by providing volunteer and paid staff.
- CDC Foundation COVID-19 Corps: The CDC Foundation is urgently recruiting candidates for critical positions related to the COVID-19 Corps initiative nationwide. Interested parties should go to the CDC Foundation website apply directly for CDCF COVID Corps positionsexternal icon. Since the CDC Foundation is continuing to actively add jobs in new states, candidates should check back regularly if they do not find a role for which they qualify immediately.
- US Digital Response: The US Digital Responseexternal icon is a volunteer-run, non-partisan service offering free access to skilled expertise for local governments who need support. We have a database of more than 4,500 qualified professionals, experienced in user research and design, back-end engineering (including mainframe engineering skills), product management, and data science.
- Refugees.Rescue.org: The IRC has launched a new website, Refugees.Rescue.orgexternal icon, to enable refugees and immigrants in the US to self-register to express their interest in volunteering and/or working on the COVID-19 response – as part of their local community or in another location. With the current COVID-19 crisis,there will likely be more opportunities to deploy refugees and immigrants living in the US who are trained medical and health professionals but are not credentialed in the US. IRC is working with a number of different stakeholders to increase opportunities and create pathways for this participation.
- Medical Reserve Corps (MRC): The MRC network consists of approximately 850 community-based units comprised of local medical, public health, and other volunteers. MRC units can help support state, local, tribal, and territorial entities in COVID-19 response efforts by augmenting public health and medical teams, conducting contact tracing, assisting with patient monitoring, supporting community screening and testing operations, and staffing call centers. Local MRC unit information is available by state at https://mrc.hhs.gov/FindMRCexternal icon.
- YMCA: As one of the largest nonprofits focused on strengthening communities, helping people in need is foundational to the Y’sexternal icon mission. In response to COVID-19, many Ys nationwide are delivering critical emergency services for vulnerable populations—offering emergency childcare for frontline workers, distributing meals to children and families, providing shelter, and offering virtual programming focused on fitness, chronic disease prevention and youth enrichment activities. The Y remains committed to being a trusted connector between public health agencies, local governments and others providing emergency responses to the crisis. To learn more, visit www.ymca.net.
- US Civilian Corps: The U.S. Civilian Corpsexternal icon is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides pro bono personnel support to states and health facilities nationwide. In partnership with executive search firm Odgers Berndtson, we have access to a database of 12M healthcare professionals, allowing us to source and help place healthcare professionals, contact tracers, and senior leadership to support COVID-19 responses. We are working in 6 states and can activate new personnel identification and placement campaigns within 24-48 hours.
- OnwardUS: OnwardUSexternal icon is a web-based resource that connects workers displaced by COVID-19 to (1) life essential services, (2) training, and (3) jobs. The initiative features resources and jobs in all industries, including training and jobs related to contact tracing.
- Generation USA: Generation USAexternal icon rapidly recruits, trains, and places unemployed and underemployed individuals by providing social supports to learners, working with public entities from the start to identify skill gaps and vacancies, and tailoring the training curriculum to their needs. Generation USA sees an opportunity to train and place new hires in healthcare roles, including positions related to contact tracing, and to upskill existing healthcare workers across the U.S. in partnership with local and state health departments, businesses, nonprofits, universities, and community groups.
- AllSTEM Connections: AllSTEM Connectionsexternal icon, a niche US staffing firm, is united in the fight to protect workers and prevent the spread of COVID 19 in the workplace. AllSTEM currently works with small and large businesses across the United States providing environmental associates (temperature takers), supportive IT and engineering staff, and scientific and laboratory technicians. AllSTEM Connections is also actively sourcing qualified talent to provide contact tracing support. AllSTEM Connections is prepared to provide workers trained in confidentiality, proper interview protocols and the ability to document as well as provide appropriate instructions and referral information.
- LevelUP Human Capital Solutions (HCS): LevelUPexternal icon assists organizations to achieve their operational goals by creating sustainable talent programs that leverage the power of their subject matter experts, industry best practices, and advanced technology delivered with our best-in-class client service. LevelUP focuses on customized solutions tailored to specific talent and HR demands, whether it be a short-term project, full-scale Recruitment Placement Outsourcing (RPO), or Managed Service Provider for contingent workforce. LevelUP provides a level of service and results that is unmatched in the talent industry.
- Securitas Critical Infrastructure Services: SCIS has staff available to support contract tracing and health assistance activities on a national basis. Many SCIS professionals are already trained in non-intrusive investigation/inspection techniques, have all been vetted – usually to a federal standard, and can be trained quickly by our quality control/training staff to meet specific state or agency requirements. More information is available on the SCIS websiteexternal icon.
- Tetra Tech: Tetra Techexternal icon is a leading provider of emergency management services spanning the entire continuum of impacts of man-made and natural events. Across our markets we are providing support to our clients to prepare for and rapidly respond to COVID-19 impacts, including program and financial management support, emergency operations centers staff augmentation, disease surveillance contact tracing support, facility disinfection, and emergency COVID-19 alternate care facilities design. By Leading with Science®, we can respond to the challenges of COVID-19, with the commitment of our 20,000 staff supported by technological innovation.
- Medix: Medixexternal icon is a leading national recruitment firm with an expertise in delivering high quality talent in a timely manner. We can provide quality talent and a reflexive workforce that can be increased or decreased in accordance to the demand of the contact tracing programs. We would be responsible for identifying, vetting, on-boarding, and the management of these individuals. Over the past 10 weeks, we’ve utilized this model to quickly build COVID support teams for 500+ essential businesses making thousands of COVID specific placements. For further information, please visit the Medix website.
- Marlowe Companies Inc.: MCIexternal icon rapidly implements US-based call center services for federal and state agencies or prime contractors needing help with unemployment insurance calls, contact tracing, and other front or back office tasks. MCI works directly with public organizations to quickly scale headcount and utilizes scalable technology for even the largest needs. MCI has contact centers in six geographically diverse states and at home workers nationally. All agents are background screened, tested, and are immediately available.
- AppleOne Employment Services: AppleOne Employment Servicesexternal icon, is America’s largest certified women and minority owned staffing company. Headquartered in Southern California, AppleOne has over 200 branches across the United States and in Canada, with extensive experience in supplying labor to federal and state government entities. AppleOne has demonstrated expertise in fulfillment of large-scale fulfillment strategies and places a core focus on customer service staffing solutions that makes the organization well positioned to be instrumental in the Contact Tracing efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19.
- All’s Well Health Care Services: All’s Well Health Care Servicesexternal icon is a privately-held, women and minority owned health care staffing organization specializing in the placement nurses, allied health professionals, therapists, dental and healthcare administration. Providing labor for hospitals, doctor’s offices, surgical centers and emergency response facilities is a core competency with compliance and safety at the forefront of delivery. All’s Well is actively providing health care support in the fight against the novel coronavirus.
- Atrium: Atriumexternal icon is a national, woman-owned, WBENC-certified talent management firm. With over 25 years of experience providing staffing, recruiting and payrolling services, Atrium understands the urgent need for flexible workforce programs that help organizations Atrium provides support across all 50 states and has responded rapidly to COVID-19 impacts. scale up, train and put staff to work quickly. With a team of over 100 recruiters nationwide, Atrium can screen over 1,000 candidates per day. Atrium has partnered with numerous government agencies to staff contact tracers, temperature checkers, healthcare workers and many other COVID-related roles.