CDC's Response to Support State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Health Departments
Get and Keep America Open: Supporting states, tribes, localities, and territories
CDC is using a multi-pronged approach to help enhance and complement the efforts of state, tribal, local, and territorial (STLT) staff through innovative hiring mechanisms designed to address the surge staffing needs of health departments. This CDC initiative will help provide access to a variety of mechanisms to complement local efforts to increase capacity.
- Realignment of existing CDC field staff embedded in health departments.
- Providing flexibilities to applicants and recipients of federal financial assistance affected by COVID-19 to redirect funds for temporary reassignment of personnel.
- Deploying CDC teams to address outbreaks in special settings.
- Partnering with CDC Foundation and other organizations to place surge staff for STLT health departments across the nation.
- Partnering with other federal agencies (e.g., AmeriCorps) to offer staffing options with states.
- Facilitating access to a variety of contact tracing and case investigation training products and tools for a diverse and evolving public health workforce.