Supporting states, tribes, localities, and territories
Federal fiscal resources for CDC applicants and recipients.
- CDC will support accelerated planning and operational readiness for COVID-19 preparedness and response, as well as develop tools and strategies, provide technical assistance and program support, and ensure ongoing communication and coordination among federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial public health agencies and partners throughout the response.
- This is a rapidly evolving situation, and we will continue to provide updated guidance and information as it becomes availableexternal icon.
Resources from CDC
CDC is supporting the critical work by providing funding and guidance.
Funding Awarded For COVID-19
- Through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, HHS has provided CDC $19.11 billion specifically for states, localities, and territories to continue to monitor, respond to, and prevent COVID-19 through expansion of testing, contract tracing and disease investigation activities, and enhanced surveillance. The ELC is pleased to announce that we will be administering these funds on behalf of the agency through our newest supplemental funding opportunity, ELC Enhancing Detection Expansion.
- Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act of 2020 Provides Support to Health Departments for COVID-19 Responsepdf icon. Using funds from the Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act of 2020, CDC is awarding $10.25 billion dollars to provide critical resources to state, local, and territorial health departments to detect, respond, and prevent COVID-19.
- CARES Act Funding Distribution to States and Localities in Support of COVID-19 Responseexternal icon. Using funds from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020, CDC is awarding $631 million to 64 jurisdictions through the existing Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Prevention and Control of Emerging Infectious Diseases (ELC) cooperative agreement. These funds, along with the previous support CDC has provided, will help states with their efforts to re-open America.
- COVID-19 Budget Fact Sheetpdf icon
The Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2020 (PL 116-123) provided CDC with $2.2 billion to support high-priority needs for the public health response to COVID-19. The CDC COVID-19 fact sheet provides an overview of CDC’s support for COVID-19 response activities on federal, state, local, territorial and tribal levels. It also highlights CDC’s current COVID-19 efforts.
- CDC-RFA-TP18-1802 Cooperative Agreement for Emergency Response: Public Health Crisis Response
CDC has awarded nearly $730 million in funding under Components A and B of the cooperative agreement to the 65 eligible jurisdictions that are on the approved but unfunded (ABU) list for CDC-RFA-TP18-1802 to provide resources to prevent, prepare for, and respond to COVID-19. This funding is intended for state, local, territorial, and tribal health departments to carry out surveillance, epidemiology, laboratory capacity, infection control, mitigation, communications, and other preparedness and response activities.
- (CK19-1904 2019) Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for the Prevention and Control of Emerging Infectious Diseases (ELC) Cooperative Agreement
The ELC cooperative agreement has provided hundreds of millions each year to all 50 states, several large local health departments, and U.S. territories and affiliates to detect, respond to, control, and prevent infectious diseases.
- ELC Enhanced Detection Guidance
Review detailed guidance on recent COVID-19 funding provided to all 64 ELC recipients through the Paycheck Protection Program and Healthcare Enhancement Act.
- ELC CARES Guidance
Peruse detailed guidance on COVID-19 funding provided to all 64 ELC recipients through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020.
- ELC Enhanced Detection Guidance
- CDC Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Fundingexternal icon
This funding supplements an existing cooperative agreement to a few states and local jurisdictions identified as having the highest number of reported COVID-19 cases (“hot zones”) and jurisdictions with accelerating or rapidly accelerating COVID-19 cases. This award will support a range of activities such as lab equipment, supplies, staffing, shipping, infection control, surge staffing, monitoring of individuals, and data management.
- COVID-19 Funding for Tribes
CDC is taking a multifaceted approach to allocate COVID-19 funding to Indian Country. This approach aims to get public health resources out quickly during this declared emergency and enable broad access to the opportunity for COVID-19 resources across all tribal nations. This page describes funding opportunities to expedite the release of COVID-19 response resources to support tribal communities.
- Communication to State Health Officers: Immediate Plans for Coronavirus Disease 2019 Supplemental Funding to Jurisdictions pdf icon[212 KB, 4 pages]
Letter provided State Health Officers early guidance on the 2020 Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act.
- Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19
Guidance outlines the ways CDC is approaching flexibilities to best support the work of applicants and recipients. This guidance applies to awards from CDC and ATSDR. These time-limited administrative flexibilities will help recipients and applicants manage administrative, financial management, and audit requirements.
- Temporary Reassignment of Personnel
Guidance outlining process of requesting temporary reassignment of state, tribal, and local personnel during an HHS Secretary declared public health emergency.
Award Terms and Conditions and Key Federal Regulations and Policies
- CDC Award Terms and Conditions and Federal Regulations and Policies
CDC and grant recipients must comply with all applicable terms and conditions of award, federal laws, regulations, and policies.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) General Funding and Grants Frequently Asked Questions
- COVID-19 Effects on PHEP Requirements 3-17-20 pdf icon[441 KB, 7 pages]
- COVID-19 Supplemental Funding FAQs pdf icon[180 KB, 4 pages]
- ASPR Guidance: Temporary Assignment of Personnelexternal icon
- ASPR Temporary Reassignment Request Form pdf icon[708 KB, 3 pages]external icon
- HHS Declaration of Public Health Emergency for COVID-19external icon
Key Federal Laws, Regulations, and Policies
- Administrative Supplemental Proposal (FY 2020) pdf icon[2.9 MB, 118 pages]external icon
- Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020 pdf icon[216 KB, 12 pages]external icon
- OMB Memo: Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants Directly Impacted by COVID-19, M-20-11 pdf icon[1.3 MB, 3 pages]external icon
- OMB Memo: Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants Impacted by COVID-19 due to loss of Operations, M-20-17 pdf icon[5.4 MB, 5 pages]external icon
- OMB Memo: Repurposing Existing Federal Financial Assistance Programs and Awards to Support the Emergency Response to COVID-19, M-20-20 pdf icon[652 KB, 2 pages]external icon
- OMB Memo: Implementation Guidance for Supplemental Funding Provided in Response to COVID-19, M-20-21 pdf icon[12.7 MB, 9 pages]external icon
- Proclamation on Declaring a National Emergency Concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak
Resources from Other Organizations
Content describing non-CDC tools on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to indicate endorsement, actual or implied, of the tools. Additionally, information on this site is provided “as is,” for users to evaluate and make their own determination as to their effectiveness.
Other Federal Agencies
Several other federal agencies are also supporting this critical effort by providing:
- CMS Emergencies Websiteexternal icon
- Department of State: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)external icon
- Department of Homeland Security: Coronavirus (COVID-19)external icon
- Department of Health and Human Services: Coronavirus (COVID-19)external icon
- FDA Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)external icon
- FEMA Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019external icon
- NIH Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)external icon
- US Government: Coronavirus (COVID-19)external icon
- WHO Website: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreakexternal icon