Contact Tracing Resources for Health Departments
Resources for Conducting Contact Tracing to Stop the Spread of COVID-19
Resources from CDC
CDC guidance for COVID-19 may be adapted by state and local health departments to respond to rapidly changing local circumstances.
- Interim Guidance on Developing a COVID-19 Case Investigation & Contact Tracing Plan
This CDC interim guidance document is intended to assist state, tribal, local, and territorial health departments develop jurisdictional plans for the implementation and enhancement of COVID-19 case investigation and contact tracing efforts. Content will be updated as new information is available.
- Considerations for Case Investigation and Contact Tracing in K-12 Schools and Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs)
This guidance combines the previously published Interim Guidance for Case Investigation and Contact Tracing in K-12 Schools and Interim Guidance for Case Investigation and Contact Tracing in Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs). It addresses implications of updated information on identifying close contacts, testing for COVID-19, vaccination, mask use, isolation, and quarantine for K-12 school and IHE settings.
- Case Investigation and Contact Tracing in Non-healthcare Workplaces: Information for Employers
This document provides tips and considerations for how employers can partner with state, tribal, local, or territorial (STLT) health departments and work with their employees in these COVID-19 response efforts.
- Case Investigation and Contact Tracing: Part of a Multipronged Approach to Fight the COVID-19 Pandemic
CDC’s basic principles of contact tracing to stop COVID-19 transmission.
Technical Assistance and Tools
- COVID-19 Case Investigation and Contact Tracing – CDC’s Role and Approach pdf icon[203 KB, 2 Pages] This document provides an overview of CDC’s role and approach to contact tracing for COVID-19.
- Health Department Checklist: Developing a COVID-19 Case Investigation & Contact Tracing Plan pdf icon[417 KB, 6 Pages]
This checklist is a supplement to CDC’s Health Departments: Interim Guidance on Developing a COVID-19 Case Investigation & Contact Tracing Plan and is a tool that can assist health departments in developing a comprehensive plan.
- Contact Tracing: A Community Engagement Checklist for Health Departments pdf icon[80 KB, 3 Pages]
Keep these tips in mind when working with community organizations on contact tracing.
Español pdf icon[132 KB, 3 pages]
- Case Investigation Workflow pdf icon[603 KB, 1 page]
This document is an infographic of the case investigation workflow for COVID-19.
- Contact Tracing Workflow pdf icon[510 KB, 1 Page]
This document is an infographic of the contact tracing workflow for COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Contact Tracing Communications Toolkit for Health Departments
This toolkit provides health departments with sample talking points, public service announcements, graphics, social media posts and more for communicating about contact tracing for COVID-19. Also available in Spanish.
- Enhancing Access to Vaccination Services This page describes how case investigators and contact tracers can provide vaccination support.
- COVIDTracer and COVIDTracer Advanced
A spreadsheet-based tool that allows state- and local-level public health officials and policy makers to compare between three different contact tracing/monitoring strategies.
- Guidelines for the Implementation and Use of Digital Tools to Augment Traditional Contact Tracing pdf icon[146 KB, 7 Pages]
This document is an update and expansion on previously published evaluation criteria.
- Contact Tracing: Using Digital Tools pdf icon[390 KB, 2 pages]
This technology guide serves as a companion to the case investigation and contact tracing workflows and describes how and where technology can assist in the processes.
- Technical Assistant Note: Transferring COVID-19 Contact Tracing Records via Epi-X The document is a supplement to CDC’s Health Departments: Interim Guidance on Developing a COVID-19 Case Investigation & Contact Tracing Plan. The resource provides information on transferring COVID-19 cases and contacts between health jurisdictions.
- Contact Tracer’s Interview Tool: Notifying People About an Exposure to COVID-19
This is guide provides suggested communication approaches and steps for public health staff to create a script for contact tracers to tell people that they may have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Case Investigator’s Interview Tool: Talking with People about COVID-19
This document is to provide suggested communication strategies for COVID-19 case interviews.
- Key Information to Collect During a Case Interview
This document provides key information that should be covered in the case interview.
- Overview of Contact Tracing
A brief summary of contact tracing and what to expect
- COVID-19 Contact Tracing Training and Resources
Trainings for public health professionals interested in becoming a contact tracer or case investigator, as well as those who already serve in these roles and are seeking to improve their knowledge.
- Prioritizing Case Investigation and Contact Tracing for COVID-19 in High Burden Jurisdictions
This new guidance further refines prioritization recommendations and presents emerging modeling data regarding timeframes for effectiveness.
- Prioritizing COVID-19 Contact Tracing – Mathematical Modeling Methods and Findings
This document presents emerging modeling data regarding timeframes for case investigation and contact tracing effectiveness.
- Options to Reduce Quarantine for Contacts of Persons with SARS-CoV-2 Infection Using Symptom Monitoring and Diagnostic Testing
CDC currently recommends a quarantine period of 14 days. However, based on local circumstances and resources, options to shorten quarantine are available as acceptable alternatives.