How to Make 0.1% Chlorine Solution to Disinfect Surfaces in Healthcare Settings
Use 0.1% (1,000ppm) chlorine solution to disinfect frequently touched surfaces and items.
Make new 0.1% chlorine solution every day. Throw away any leftover solution from the day before.
- Make sure to wear required PPE.
- Proceed with only one of the following: 2a or 2b or 2c
2a From Liquid Bleach (5%)
Pour 400mL of liquid bleach into a 20L bucket, then fill with water to 20L mark
(or pour 1 part liquid bleach and 49 parts water for any volume).
2b From HTH (70%)
Add TWO tablespoons (30g) of high-test
hypochlorite (HTH) (70%) to 20 liters of water in a bucket.
2c From Chlorine Powder (35%)
Add FOUR tablespoons (60g) of chlorine powder (35%) to 20 liters of water in a bucket.
- Stir well for 10 seconds, or until chlorine powder/granules have dissolved.
- Wait 30 minutes before use.
- Label bucket “0.1% Chlorine Solution – Disinfecting. “
- Cover bucket with lid. Do not store in direct sunlight.
- Graduated 1-L bottle or measuring cup
- Bucket with lid
- 5% Liquid bleach OR 70% HTH OR 35% chlorine powder
- Stick for stirring
Do NOT mix chlorine solution with other cleaning products or chemicals.
Do NOT put chlorine solution in mouth or eyes.