How to Make 0.1% Chlorine Solution to Disinfect Surfaces in Non-Healthcare Settings
Use 0.1% (1,000 ppm) chlorine solution to disinfect frequently touched surfaces and items. Make new 0.1% chlorine solution every day. Safely dispose of any leftover solution in a latrine or toilet/drain connected to a septic system or sewer.
- Make sure to wear rubber gloves, a thick apron, closed toe shoes, a face mask and eye protection such as safety glasses to avoid splashes
- Proceed with only one of the following: 2a or 2b or 2c
2a From Liquid Bleach (5%)
Pour 400mL of 5% liquid bleach into a clean 20-L bucket, then fill bucket with water (or 1 part liquid bleach and 49 parts water for any volume)-or-2b From HTH (70%)
Add TWO tablespoons (30g) of high-test
hypochlorite (HTH) (70%) to 20-L of water in a bucket.-or-2c From Chlorine Powder (35%)
Add FOUR tablespoons (60g) of chlorine powder (35%) to 20-L of water in a bucket.
- Stir well with stick for 10 seconds, or until chlorine powder/granules have dissolved.
- Label bucket “NOT FOR DRINKING OR HANDWASHING/BATHING. 0.1% Chlorine Solution – Disinfecting.“
- Tightly cover bucket with lid.
- Do not store in direct sunlight. Store supplies in a secured location, out of reach of children and away from fire/flames
- Graduated 1-L bottle or measuring cup
- Bucket with lid
- 5% Liquid bleach OR 70% HTH OR 35% chlorine powder
- Stick for stirring
Do NOT mix chlorine solution with other cleaning products or chemicals.
Do NOT put chlorine solution in mouth or eyes.
Seek medical attention if chlorine is ingested or breathing becomes difficult due to exposure