Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use the cleanest water possible, for example from an improved source.* Use an alcohol-based hand rub that contains 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
1. Wet hands with water.
2. Apply enough soap to cover all hand surfaces.
3. Rub hands together and scrub everywhere.
4. Wash the front and back of your hands, in between your fingers, and under your nails.
5. Rinse hands with water.
6. Dry hands completely using a single-use towel or air dry.
WHEN TO WASH HANDS TO PREVENT COVID-19:
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- After being in a public place
- Before and after caring for someone who is sick
Remember to wash your hands after each of these activities to stay healthy:
- Before, during, and after preparing food
- Before eating food
- After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
- After using the toilet or latrine
- After touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste
- After touching garbage