What is Anthrax?
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. It occurs naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. People can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products. Anthrax can cause severe illness in both humans and animals.
Anthrax is not contagious, which means you can’t catch it from another person like the cold or flu.
How people get infected with anthrax
People get infected with anthrax when spores get into the body. When anthrax spores get inside the body, they can be “activated.” The bacteria can then multiply, spread out in the body, produce toxins, and cause severe illness.
This can happen when people breathe in spores, eat food or drink water contaminated with spores, or get spores in a cut or scrape in the skin. It is very uncommon for people in the United States to get infected with anthrax.
Certain activities can also increase a person’s chances of getting infected.
How animals get infected with anthrax
Domestic and wild animals can become infected when they breathe in or ingest spores in contaminated soil, plants, or water. These animals can include cattle, sheep, goats, antelope, and deer. In areas where domestic animals have had anthrax in the past, routine vaccination can help prevent outbreaks.
Where anthrax is found
Anthrax is most common in agricultural regions of
- Central and South America,
- sub-Saharan Africa,
- central and southwestern Asia,
- southern and eastern Europe, and
- the Caribbean.
Anthrax is rare in the United States. However, sporadic outbreaks do occur in wild and domestic grazing animals such as cattle or deer. Anthrax is more common in countries that do not have programs that routinely vaccinate animals against anthrax. In the United States, veterinarians recommend yearly vaccination of livestock in areas where animals have had anthrax in the past.
Guide to understanding anthrax
CDC has created “Guide to Understanding Anthrax pdf icon[PDF – 751K]” with the basic information on anthrax from this website. The document is available for download in multiple languages below.
- Amharic pdf icon[PDF – 881K]ስለ አባ ሰንጋ የሚያስረዳ መመርያ
- Arabic pdf icon[PDF – 813K]دن مُ نفهى انج رًح انخج ثُخ
- Chinese pdf icon[PDF – 834K]炭疽病认知指南
- French pdf icon[PDF – 793K]Guide pour comprendre l’anthrax
- Haitian pdf icon[PDF – 773K]Gid pou Konprann Maladi Chabon
- Italian pdf icon[PDF – 776K]Guida sull’antrace
- Korean pdf icon[PDF – 769K]탄저병에 관한 설명
- Portuguese pdf icon[PDF – 771K]Guia para compreender o Antraz
- Russian pdf icon[PDF – 760K]Пособие по сибирской язве
- Spanish pdf icon[PDF – 12 pages]Guía básica para comprender el ántrax
- Tagalog pdf icon[PDF – 747K]Gabay sa Pag-uunawa ng Anthrax
- Vietnamese pdf icon[PDF – 758K]Hướng dẫn Tìm hiểu về Bệnh Than (Anthrax)