NHBI Road Map Series and Resources
In 2005, Congress first appropriated funds for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to focus on brain health and dementia for the first time. This action led to the Healthy Brain Initiative’s (HBI) State and Local Public Health Partnerships to Address Demetria Road Map and the longstanding collaboration between the Alzheimer’s Association and CDC. Alignment of the HBI Road Map actions with Essential Services of Public Health ensures that initiatives to address Alzheimer’s can be incorporated easily and efficiently into existing public health initiatives.
Conceptual Framework for the Healthy Brain Initiative Road Map
The framework of the Healthy Brain Initiative (HBI) Road Map consists of four domains. The domains (inner portion of the circle) and areas of practice (outer ring of the circle) build on the EPHS and Public Health 3.0. In this fourth edition of the HBI Road Map, the domains have been renamed to showcase the evolution of thinking in these topic areas and to align more closely with the 2020 update to the EPHS language. They have also been reordered to help guide health departments on where to start to achieve the most action and impact. The color coding for the domains remains the same to facilitate connection between the previous years of work and the years ahead.
The framework of the Healthy Brain Initiative (HBI) Road Map consists of four domains:
- Strengthen Partnerships and Policies
- Measure, Evaluate and Utilize Data
- Build a Diverse and Skilled Workforce
- Engage and Educate the Public
Surrounding the domains, shown on the outer circle of the framework, are the areas of practice across the life course that affect the domains: risk reduction of cognitive decline; dementia caregiving; early detection, diagnosis and management of cognitive impairment; and community-clinical linkages.
Topic-specific issue maps provide in-depth information on current public health issues that address Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Each issue map offers compelling data on the topic and a primer explaining the need for action, suggests related HBI Road Map actions, and provides case studies to demonstrate successful intervention. Issue maps and primers are available on the following topics:
- Needs Assessment Toolkit for Dementia, Cognitive Health and Caregiving (alz.org) [PDF – 5 MB]
- Addressing Emergency Preparedness Needs of Individuals Living with Cognitive Impairment and Their Care Partners: Role of the Public Health and Aging Services Networks [PDF – 165 KB]
- Addressing Financial Exploitation Among People Living with Cognitive Impairment and Their Caregivers: Role of the Public Health and Aging Services Networks [PDF – 108 KB]
- Addressing Stigma Associated with Alzheimer’s Disease And Other Dementias: Role of the Public Health and Aging Services Networks [PDF – 153 KB]
- ASTHO’s e-Learning Center Healthy Brain Initiative Road Map Module
The module is designed to support public health agencies in identifying priorities and taking action toward improving dementia and caregiving as guided by CDC HBI’s Road Map Series for State and Local Partners and for Indian Country.
- Podcast: State and Local Public Health Partnerships to Address Dementia, The 2018- 2023 Road Map
Learn about CDC’s Healthy Brain Initiative’s 2018-2023 Road Map to address Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia in the U.S.
- Podcast: Advancing Cognitive Well-Being Through the Healthy Brain Initiative Road Map [MP3]
This podcast introduces the 2018-2023 Healthy Brain Initiative Road Map and discusses strategies for public health agencies to promote cognitive health and support people living with dementia and their caregivers.
- State and Local Public Health Partnerships to Address Dementia: The 2018-2023 Road Map [PDF – 19 MB]
- The Healthy Brain Initiative Interim Report 2013-2018 Dissemination Guide [PDF – 675 KB] can assist you with the promotion of the report.
- The Healthy Brain Initiative: Interim Progress Report 2013-2018 [PDF – 2 MB]
- The Healthy Brain Initiative: The Public Health Road Map for State and National Partnerships, 2013–2018 [PDF – 2 MB]
- The CDC Healthy Brain Initiative Progress 2006-2011 [PDF – 2 MB] report documents CDC’s Healthy Brain Initiative’s accomplishments stemming from the first document in the road map series, The Healthy Brain Initiative: A National Public Health Road Map to Maintaining Cognitive Health [PDF – 3 MB]. The Progress Report focuses on priorities relevant to CDC’s public health mission in four areas: conducting surveillance, supporting policy change, advancing communication, and guiding applied prevention research.