Emergency Preparedness for Older Adults, including COVID-19
Follow these easy steps to make sure you’re protected.
Natural disasters, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards, may force you to evacuate your home or shelter-in-place at short notice. It is important to know what to do in case of an emergency well before disaster strikes.
If you are an older adult living in the community, you may face some challenges during an emergency. For example, you may have mobility problems, or chronic health conditions, or you may not have any family or friends nearby to support you. Support services that are usually available, such as help from caregivers or in-home health care and meal delivery services, may be unavailable for a period of time. In addition, older adults may experience challenges that come with advanced age, such as hearing or vision problems or cognitive impairment, which may make it difficult to access, understand, and respond to emergency instructions.
You or the person you care for can be prepared for emergency situations by creating a plan, reviewing or practicing it regularly, and keeping an emergency supply kit.
- 6 Tips on How Older Adults can Prepare for a Disaster (NIA)external icon
- American Red Cross Emergency Preparedness for Older Adultsexternal icon
- American Red Cross: Closing the Gaps: Advancing Disaster Preparedness Response and Recovery for Older Adults pdf icon[PDF -1.88 MB ]external icon
- Emergency Readiness for Older Adults and People with Disabilities (ACL)external icon
- Emergency Preparedness Month: “Disasters Don’t Plan Ahead. You Can.” (ACL)external icon
- Disaster Planning Toolkit for People Living with Dementia (NADRC)external icon
- Disaster Preparedness for Alzheimer’s Caregivers (NIA)external icon
- Disaster Preparedness Tip Sheets for Seniors (Specific Topics: Flood, Hot Weather, Winter, Pets, Earthquake, Power Outages, and Wildfire)external icon
- Identifying Vulnerable Older Adults Increasing Their Protection During All-Hazards Emergencies (CDC)pdf icon
- Ready.gov Indian Countryexternal icon
- Ready.gov Individuals with Disabilitiesexternal icon
- Ready.gov Seniorsexternal icon