Patient Safety Analysis Resources
The NHSN application provides various options that allow NHSN users to analyze their surveillance data. The resources listed below are intended to help you use the analysis tool, and interpret data analyzed from the Patient Safety Component of NHSN.
Guides and Training
NHSN Codes and Variables
Updated November 16, 2015
FUSN ICD-10-PCS Codes – Guidance for Spinal Level and Approach. [XLSX - 32 KB]
This supplemental guidance may be used to complete the spinal level and approach fields in the Operative Procedure Details section for FUSN procedures.
ICD-10 CM Diabetes Diagnostic Codes [XLSX - 16 KB]
ICD-10-CM codes included in this spreadsheet are acceptable for use to answer "YES" to "Diabetes Mellitus" for completing the NHSN Operative Procedure Details.
ICD-10-CM/PCS Codes for ‘prior infection at hip or knee joint’ denominator form question [XLSX - 20 KB]
Use ICD-10-PCS/CM diagnosis or procedure codes included in this spreadsheet to determine if patient meets criteria for ‘prior infection at index joint’.
- NHSN Data Dictionary - Patient Safety Component October 2015 [XLSX - 551 KB]
- NHSN Data Dictionary - Patient Safety Component January 2015 [XLSX - 949 KB]
ICD9-CM Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Categories January 2013. [XLSX - 178 KB]
Mapping of ICD-9-CM Procedure Codes to NHSN Operative Procedure categories.
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions January 2015 [PDF - 448 KB]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Top Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2015 [XLSX - 248 KB]
SAS Macro to Compare the SIR to 1 or Other Nominal Value. September 2015 [SAS
- 5 KB]
This macro can be used to compare the SIR to a single nominal value, consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 SIRs February 2014 [SAS - 5 KB]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two SIRs, consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 Incidence Density Rates February 2014 [SAS - 5 KB]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two incidence density rates (e.g., CAUTI rates), consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 Proportions February 2014 [SAS - 6 KB]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two proportions (e.g., catheter device utilization ratios), consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro for a Single Incidence Density Rate February 2014 [SAS - 3 KB]
This macro can be used to perform confidence interval testing around a single incidence density rate (e.g., CLABSI rate), consistent with methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro for a Single Proportion June 2015 [SAS - 3 KB]
This macro can be used to perform confidence interval testing around a single proportion (e.g., healthcare worker flu vaccination percentages). This macro can also be used to compare a single proportion to a benchmark value, consistent with methods used by NHSN.
Risk Adjustment for Healthcare Facility-Onset C. difficile and MRSA Bacteremia Laboratory-identified Event Reporting in NHSN March 2013 [PDF - 416 KB]
This report describes the risk modeling that CDC applied to LabID event CDI and MRSA bacteremia data submitted to NHSN, the results of which have been incorporated into the analysis options in the NHSN application.
- List of Aggregate Data Sources for Rate Comparisons and SIRs. January 2014 [PDF - 136 KB]
- Annual Reports
- National and State HAI SIR Reports
- CDC Vital Signs: Making Healthcare Safer
2013 NHSN Data Quality Guidance and Toolkit for Reporting Facilities: Internal Validation of NHSN Patient Safety Component Data [PDF
- 819 KB]
- Abbreviations, Terms, and Acronyms Used in this Document [PDF - 175 KB]
- Internal Validation of NHSN Patient Safety Component Data by Reporting Facilities: Assuring NHSN Data Quality [PDF - 314 KB]
- Appendix 1: Facility Self-validation Guidance [PDF - 193 KB]
- Appendix 2.1: CLABSI/CAUTI Surveillance Coordinator Checklist [PDF - 165 KB]
- Appendix 2.2: Documentation of Electronic CLABSI/CAUTI Denominator Validation [PDF - 196 KB]
- Appendix 2.3: CLABSI and CAUTI Denominator Counting Survey with Key [PDF - 252 KB]
- Appendix 2.4: Surgical Procedure and SSI Surveillance Methods Survey with Key [PDF - 232 KB]
- Appendix 2.5: LabID Event Surveillance Methods Survey with Key [PDF - 209 KB]
- Appendix 2.6: LabID Event Facility-Wide Inpatient (FacWideIN) Denominator Validation Template [PDF - 228 KB]
- Appendix 3: Facility/Provider to Facility/Provider Communications under HIPAA: Questions and Answers [PDF - 178 KB]
Want to take the NHSN Analysis features for a test drive?
- Page last reviewed: January 27, 2015
- Page last updated: October 27, 2015
- Content source: