NHSN is the HAI surveillance gold standard. The system (and its predecessors) started years ago helping a few hundred healthcare facilities; today, more than 11,000 healthcare facilities use NHSN as the cornerstone of their HAI elimination strategies. Specifically, facilities use NHSN to:
- Access NHSN enrollment requirements for CMS Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program,
- Obtain baseline HAI rates,
- Compare rates to CDC’s national data,
- Participate in state or national HAI prevention collaboratives,
- Devise and implement HAI elimination strategies,
- Evaluate immediate and long-term results of elimination efforts,
- Refocus efforts as needed, or advance to different areas.