Patient Safety Analysis Resources
The NHSN application provides various options that allow NHSN users to analyze their surveillance data. The resources listed below are intended to help you use the analysis tool, and interpret data analyzed from the Patient Safety Component of NHSN.
Guides and Training
- Analysis Quick Reference Guides
- Data Entry and Analysis Training
- New! Introduction to NHSN Analysis - March 2016 [Video - 57 min]
- New! Updating the national risk-adjustment of HAI Data - March 2016 [Video - 59 min]
- New! NHSN Analysis: Focus on Device Associated Data - March 2016 [Video - 56 min]
- New! Advanced Analysis: Focus on SSI - March 2016 [Video - 64 min]
- New! Advanced Analysis: Focus on LabID Data - March 2016 [Video - 62 min]
- New! Analysis of Antibiotic Resistance Data - March 2016 [Video - 48 min]
- New! General NHSN Definitions: Rules, Tools, Re-tools - March 2016 [Video - 57 min]
NHSN Codes and Variables
Updated December 21, 2015
Additional Guidance for use with NHSN Operative Procedure Codes
Guidance for HPRO and KPRO Procedure Details [XLSX - 41 KB]
This guidance document may be used for completing the NHSN procedure details for HPRO – hip arthroplasty and/or KPRO – Knee arthroplasty operative procedures.
FUSN ICD-10-PCS Codes – Guidance for Spinal Level and Approach. [XLSX - 32 KB]
This supplemental guidance may be used to complete the spinal level and approach fields in the Operative Procedure Details section for FUSN procedures.
ICD-10 CM Diabetes Diagnostic Codes [XLSX - 16 KB]
ICD-10-CM codes included in this spreadsheet are acceptable for use to answer "YES" to "Diabetes Mellitus" for completing the NHSN Operative Procedure Details.
ICD-10-CM/PCS Codes for ‘prior infection at hip or knee joint’ denominator form question [XLSX - 20 KB]
Use ICD-10-PCS/CM diagnosis or procedure codes included in this spreadsheet to determine if patient meets criteria for ‘prior infection at index joint’.
- Guidance for HPRO and KPRO Procedure Details [XLSX - 41 KB]
- NHSN Data Dictionary - Patient Safety Component January 2016 [XLSX - 551 KB]
ICD9-CM Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Categories January 2013. [XLSX - 178 KB]
Mapping of ICD-9-CM Procedure Codes to NHSN Operative Procedure categories.
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions January 2016 [PDF - 470 KB]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Top Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2015 [XLSX - 248 KB]
SAS Macro to Compare the SIR to 1 or Other Nominal Value. September 2015 [SAS
- 5 KB]
This macro can be used to compare the SIR to a single nominal value, consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 SIRs February 2014 [SAS - 5 KB]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two SIRs, consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 Incidence Density Rates February 2014 [SAS - 5 KB]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two incidence density rates (e.g., CAUTI rates), consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 Proportions February 2014 [SAS - 6 KB]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two proportions (e.g., catheter device utilization ratios), consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro for a Single Incidence Density Rate February 2014 [SAS - 3 KB]
This macro can be used to perform confidence interval testing around a single incidence density rate (e.g., CLABSI rate), consistent with methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro for a Single Proportion June 2015 [SAS - 3 KB]
This macro can be used to perform confidence interval testing around a single proportion (e.g., healthcare worker flu vaccination percentages). This macro can also be used to compare a single proportion to a benchmark value, consistent with methods used by NHSN.
Risk Adjustment for Healthcare Facility-Onset C. difficile and MRSA Bacteremia Laboratory-identified Event Reporting in NHSN March 2013 [PDF - 416 KB]
This report describes the risk modeling that CDC applied to LabID event CDI and MRSA bacteremia data submitted to NHSN, the results of which have been incorporated into the analysis options in the NHSN application.
- List of Aggregate Data Sources for Rate Comparisons and SIRs. January 2014 [PDF - 136 KB]
- Annual Reports
- National and State HAI SIR Reports
- CDC Vital Signs: Making Healthcare Safer
Want to take the NHSN Analysis features for a test drive?
- Data Analysis and Presentation Standardization Toolkit
The Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) and CDC have partnered to create a toolkit of best practices in the analysis and display of HAI data for public reports. This toolkit provides guidance and recommended methods for organizations that publish facility-specific HAI data, and includes examples for both a technical and consumer-friendly HAI report.
- Page last reviewed: January 27, 2015
- Page last updated: September 23, 2016
- Content source: