Workplace Health Resources
Alcohol and Substance Misuse
Alcohol and Substance Misuse
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices Model Programs for the Workplace provides specific techniques and interventions that have been carefully implemented and evaluated and shown positive outcomes.
- Mental Health America’s Factsheets: Co-occurring Disorders: Fast Facts provides facts, risk factors, and signs and symptoms of alcohol and substance abuse disorders.
- Mental Health America’s Factsheet: Co-occurring Disorders Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Addiction and Co-occurring Disorders provides information designed to increase the understanding of substance abuse and co-occurring disorders such as depression.
- Screening and Brief Intervention
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Drug Free Workplace Kit: Develop a Policy website provides information on drug-free workplace laws and regulations, basic elements of an effective policy, and resources for developing a policy.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Overarching Principles to Meet the Needs of Persons with Co-occurring Disorders describes 12 principles to guide systems of care for persons with co-occurring disorders such as alcohol and substance misuse.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Initiative is a comprehensive, integrated, public health approach to the delivery of early intervention and treatment services for persons with substance use disorders, as well as those who are at risk of developing these disorders within community and/or medical settings-including physician offices, hospitals, educational institutions, and mental health centers. The website provides a single, comprehensive repository of SBIRT information including training manuals, online resources, links to organizations and publications, and a list of references.
- National Business Group on Health’s An Employer’s Guide to Behavioral Health Services [PDF-761K] provides a number of evidence-based actionable strategies and recommendations that will allow employers to create and implement a system of affordable, effective, and high-quality behavioral health services. This report was done in collaboration with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- National Business Group on Health’s An Employer’s Guide to Workplace Substance Abuse: Strategies and Treatment Recommendations [PDF-510K] identifies effective strategies and costs for interventions, potential cost savings to employers, and other health outcomes.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Drug Free Workplace Kit: Assess Your Workplace website provides employers with information on completing a drug-free workplace needs assessment to determine whether alcohol and other drugs are affecting the workplace.
- Page last reviewed: February 1, 2018
- Page last updated: January 10, 2018
- Content source: