Alcohol and Substance Misuse
Alcohol and Substance Misuse
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices Model Programs for the Workplace provides specific techniques and interventions that have been carefully implemented and evaluated and shown positive outcomes.
- Mental Health America’s Factsheets: Co-occurring Disorders: Fast Factsexternal icon provides facts, risk factors, and signs and symptoms of alcohol and substance abuse disorders.
- Mental Health America’s Factsheet: Co-occurring Disorders Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Addiction and Co-occurring Disorders external icon provides information designed to increase the understanding of substance abuse and co-occurring disorders such as depression.
- Screening and Brief Intervention
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Drug Free Workplace Kit: Develop a Policyexternal icon website provides information on drug-free workplace laws and regulations, basic elements of an effective policy, and resources for developing a policy.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Overarching Principles to Meet the Needs of Persons with Co-occurring Disordersexternal icon describes 12 principles to guide systems of care for persons with co-occurring disorders such as alcohol and substance misuse.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Initiativeexternal icon is a comprehensive, integrated, public health approach to the delivery of early intervention and treatment services for persons with substance use disorders, as well as those who are at risk of developing these disorders within community and/or medical settings-including physician offices, hospitals, educational institutions, and mental health centers. The website provides a single, comprehensive repository of SBIRT information including training manuals, online resources, links to organizations and publications, and a list of references.
- National Business Group on Health’s An Employer’s Guide to Behavioral Health Services [PDF-761K]external icon provides a number of evidence-based actionable strategies and recommendations that will allow employers to create and implement a system of affordable, effective, and high-quality behavioral health services. This report was done in collaboration with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- National Business Group on Health’s An Employer’s Guide to Workplace Substance Abuse: Strategies and Treatment Recommendations [PDF-510K]external icon identifies effective strategies and costs for interventions, potential cost savings to employers, and other health outcomes.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Drug Free Workplace Kit: Assess Your Workplaceexternal icon website provides employers with information on completing a drug-free workplace needs assessment to determine whether alcohol and other drugs are affecting the workplace.
Page last reviewed: April 9, 2018