Standards for Practice: Vaccine Recommendation
Strongly recommend vaccines that your patients need, whether your office stocks them or not.
Your recommendation can make a difference.
- Clinicians are the most valued and trusted source of health information for adults.
- Adults believe that vaccines are important, but many are not aware of all the vaccines they need.
For some patients, a recommendation might not be enough. SHARE important information to help patients make informed decisions about vaccinations:
SHARE the tailored reasons why the recommended vaccine is right for the patient given his or her age, health status, lifestyle, occupation, or other risk factors.
HIGHLIGHT positive experiences with vaccines (personal or in your practice), as appropriate, to reinforce the benefits and strengthen confidence in vaccination.
How to Give a Strong Recommendation to Adult Patients Who Require Vaccination
Module including video presentation of 3 case examples of evidence-based strategies and tips on strengthening vaccine recommendations with information that can help patients make informed decisions.
ADDRESS patient questions and any concerns about the vaccine, including side effects, safety, and vaccine effectiveness in plain and understandable language.
REMIND patients that vaccines protect them and their loved ones from many common and serious diseases.
EXPLAIN the potential costs of getting the disease, including serious health effects, time lost (such as missing work or family obligations), and financial costs.
- Factsheets with information to help address common questions about adult vaccines:
- Addressing Common Questions about Hepatitis A Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Pneumococcal Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Influenza Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Zoster (Shingles) Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Addressing Common Questions about Td/Tdap Vaccination for Adults [2 pages]
- Patient education materials
- Vaccine Recommendation fact sheet with tips on answering common questions about adult immunization [2 pages]