Standards for Practice: Vaccine Documentation
Keep an up-to-date record of the vaccines your patients have received to make sure they have the best protection against vaccine-preventable diseases.
To ensure patients get the vaccines they need and to prevent unnecessary vaccination, you should:
- Record vaccination in patients’ medical records
- Provide documentation of vaccines received to patients for their personal records.
- Document vaccinations in immunization information systems (IIS)
Immunization Information Systems (IIS)
IIS are confidential, community-wide, computerized databases that record vaccines administered by participating healthcare professionals.
Documenting vaccines into IIS can benefit your practice by:
- Consolidating vaccination records for your patients
- Helping you assess your patients’ immunization status
- Reducing chances for unnecessary doses of vaccine or missed opportunities to provide vaccines
- Facilitating use of reminder and recall notifications to send to patients
- Making calculation of your office’s immunization coverage rates easier