CDC Research on SDOH: General SDOH Topics and Methods
Research by CDC authors on a range of SDOH topics expands the scientific evidence that will help build the pathway to health equity. Based on specified criteria, the following list of recently published peer-reviewed articles is organized into categories as described in the Healthy People 2020 place-based frameworkExternal.
This list includes CDC-authored research articles that focus broadly on SDOH or on SDOH-related areas that do not neatly fit under HP2020 social determinants of health domains. Articles cover such topics as methodologies, strategies, measurements and policies.
- CDC’s DELTA FOCUS Program: Identifying Promising Primary Prevention Strategies for Intimate Partner ViolenceExternal
Armstead TL, Rambo K, Kearns M, Jones KM, Dills J, Brown P. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2017;26(1):9-12.
- Trends in Disparity by Sex and Race/Ethnicity for the Leading Causes of Death in the United States—1999-2010External
Chang MH, Moonesinghe R, Athar HM, Truman BI. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S13-24.
- Sustaining a Focus on Health Equity at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through Organizational Structures and FunctionsExternal
Dean HD, Roberts GW, Bouye KE, Green Y, McDonald M. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S60-7.
- Toward Achieving Health Equity: Emerging Evidence and Program Practice External
Dicent Taillepierre JC, Liburd L, O’Connor A, Valentine J, Bouye K, McCree DH, Chapel T, Hahn R. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S43-9.
- Social Determinants and Teen Pregnancy Prevention: Exploring the Role of Nontraditional PartnershipsExternal
Fuller TR, White CP, Chu J, Dean D, Clemmons N, Chaparro C, Thames JL, Henderson AB, King P. Health Promot Pract. 2016.
- Civil Rights as Determinants of Public Health and Racial and Ethnic Health Equity: Health Care, Education, Employment, and Housing in the United StatesExternal
Hahn RA, Truman DI, Williams DR. SSM Popul Health. 2018: 2018 Apr;4:17-24.
- Policy Approaches to Advancing Health EquityExternal
Hall M, Graffunder C, Metzler M. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S50-9.
- An Environmental Scan of Recent Initiatives Incorporating Social Determinants in Public HealthExternal
Koo D, O’Carroll PW, Harris A, DeSalvo KB. Prev Chronic Dis. 2016;13:E86.
- Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention Policies in the United States: Evidence and Opportunities External
Leichliter JS, Seiler N, Wohlfeiler D. Sex Transm Dis. 2016;43(2 Suppl 1):S113-21.
- Epilogue to Strategies for Reducing Health Disparities, Selected CDC-Sponsored Interventions, United States, 2016
Liburd LC, Bouye KE, Penman-Aguilar A. MMWR Suppl. 2016;65(1);68–69
- Strengthening the Science and Practice of Health Equity in Public HealthExternal
Liburd LC, Ehlinger E, Liao Y, Lichtveld M. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S1-4.
- An Approach to Achieving the Health Equity Goals of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States among Racial/Ethnic Minority CommunitiesExternal
McCree DH, Beer L, Prather C, Gant Z, Harris N, Sutton M, Sionean C, Dunbar E, Smith J, Wortley P. Public Health Rep. 2016;131(4):526-530.
- Toward Consensus on Self-Management Support: The International Chronic Condition Self-Management Support FrameworkExternal
Mills SL, Brady TJ, Jayanthan J, Ziabakhsh S, Sargious PM. Health Promot Int. 2016.
- Background and Rationale for
Penman-Aguilar A, Bouye K, Liburd L, Equity H. MMWR Suppl. 2016;65(1):2-3.
- Measurement of Health Disparities, Health Inequities, and Social Determinants of Health to Support the Advancement of Health Equity External
Penman-Aguilar A, Talih M, Huang D, Moonesinghe R, Bouye K, Beckles G. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S33-42.
- Integrating Health Equity into Practice and PolicyExternal
Richardson LD. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S107-9.
- Reducing Health Inequities in the U.S.: Recommendations from the NHLBI’s Health Inequities Think Tank MeetingExternal
Sampson UK et al. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;68(5):517-24.