CDC Research on SDOH: Education
Research by CDC authors on a range of SDOH topics expands the scientific evidence that will help build the pathway to health equity. Based on specified criteria, the following list of recently published peer-reviewed articles is organized into categories as described in the Healthy People 2020 place-based frameworkExternal.
This list includes CDC research and other journal articles that reflect the connection between education and health and well-being. This domain includes key issues such as graduating from high school graduation, enrollment in higher education, educational attainment in general, language and literacy, and early childhood education and development.
- Engaging Fathers in Effective Parenting for Preschool Children Using Shared Book Reading: A Randomized Controlled TrialExternal
Chacko A, Fabiano GA, Doctoroff GL, Fortson B. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2017:1-14.
- Socioeconomic Factors at the Intersection of Race and Ethnicity Influencing Health Risks for People with Disabilities
Courtney-Long EA, Romano SD, Carroll DD, Fox MH. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 2016:1–10.
- Early Childhood Education to Promote Health Equity: A Community Guide Systematic ReviewExternal
Hahn RA, Barnett WS, Knopf JA, Truman BI, Johnson RL, Fielding JE, Muntaner C, Jones CP, Fullilove MT, Hunt PC. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016.
- Recommendation for Center-Based Early Childhood Education to Promote Health EquityExternal
Hahn R. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22(5):E9-E10.
- Farm to Preschool: The State of the Research Literature and a Snapshot of National PracticeExternal
Hoffman JA, Schmidt EM, Wirth C, Johnson S, Sobell SA, Pelissier K, Harris DM, Izumi BT. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. 2016:1-23.
- School-Based Health Centers to Advance Health Equity: A Community Guide Systematic ReviewCdc-pdfExternal
Knopf JA, Finnie RK, Peng Y, Hahn RA, Truman BI, Vernon-Smiley M, Johnson VC, Johnson RL, Fielding JE, Muntaner C, Hunt PC, Phyllis Jones C, Fullilove MT. Am J Prev Med. 2016;51(1):114-26.
- Adverse Childhood Experiences and Life Opportunities: Shifting the NarrativeExternal
Metzler M, Merrick MT, Klevens J, Ports KA, Ford DC. Children and Youth Services Review. 2017;72:141-149.
- Economic Evaluation of School-Based Health Centers: A Community Guide Systematic ReviewCdc-pdfExternal
Ran T, Chattopadhyay SK, Hahn RA. Am J Prev Med. 2016;51(1):129-38.
- High School Completion Programs: A Community Guide Systematic Economic ReviewExternal
Qu S, Chattopadhyay SK, Hahn RA. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22(3):E47–56.
- Reduced Disparities in Birth Rates Among Teens Aged 15-19 Years — United States, 2006-2007 and 2013-2014
Romero LP, Pazol K, Warner L, Cox S, Kroelinger C, Besera G, Brittain A, Fuller TR, Koumans E, Barfield W. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(16):409-414.