There are several different ways to access restricted NCHS data. Researchers can use one mode or a combination of access modes. Some projects and datasets may not be appropriate for all modes of access. If you are bound to a specific mode of access, you should contact the RDC before submitting your proposal to determine if your project is feasible. There are times when we will not be able to make a determination without the submission of a full proposal.
Consider the following questions before choosing your mode of access
- Does your chosen mode of access support the NCHS survey you are using?
- Data Availability
- Which statistical software and procedures do you plan to use?
- The remote access system only supports specific procedures in SAS and SAS-callable SUDAAN.
- Are any of the on-site centers located near you?
- Does your budget support your mode of access?
|NCHS Survey||On Site||FSRDC||Remote (ANDRE)|
|National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)||•||•||•|
|National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) and
National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey(NHAMCS)
|National Hospital Discharge Survey (NHDS)||•||•||•|
|National Nursing Home Survey (NNHS) and
National Nursing Assistant Survey (NNAS)
|National Home and Hospice Care Survey (NHHCS) and
National Home Health Aide Survey (NHHAS)
|National Survey of Residential Care Facilities (NSRCF)||•||•||•|
|National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)||•||•||•|
|National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG)||•||•||•|
|National Survey of Children's Health (NSCH)||•||•||•|
|National Survey of Children with Special Health Care
|Linked Mortality Data Products||•||•||•|
|Linked Medicare Enrollment and Claims Files Data||•||•|
|Linked End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Data||•||•|
|Linked Social Security Benefit History Data||•||•|
|Linked Air Quality Data||•||•|
|National Maternal and Infant Health Survey||•||•||•|
|National Program of Cancer Registries||•||•|
|Chronic Fatigue Syndrome||•||•|
|National ART Surveillance||•||•||•|
|Vaccine Safety Datalink||•|
|National Evaluation of Welfare to Work Strategies|
|National Sample Survey of Nurse Practitioners||•||•|
- This table is subject to change.
- The majority of variables in a survey are available on the specified mode of access. However, there are variables that are not allowed.
- Page last reviewed: January 20, 2016
- Page last updated: January 20, 2016
- Content source: