Pertussis (whooping cough) commonly occurs worldwide, even in countries with high vaccination rates. Travelers should be up-to-date with recommended pertussis vaccinations before departure.
Remember, babies too young to have protection from the first 3 DTaP shots are at greater risk of getting a very bad case of pertussis and possibly dying from it.
- Liang JL, Tiwari T, Moro P, et al. Prevention of Pertussis, Tetanus, and Diphtheria with Vaccines in the United States: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018;67(2):1–44.
Resource for Travelers
- Vaccine Information Statements (DTaP, Td and Tdap)
- Travelers’ Health — Yellow Book Pertussis Information
- Page last reviewed: August 7, 2017
- Page last updated: May 8, 2018
- Content source: