Worker Health Information from the National Health Interview Survey
Publications and Resources
NIOSH Science Blog
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. QuickStats: Percentage of employed adults aged 18-64 years who had carpal tunnel syndrome in the past 12 months, by sex and age group. MMWR 2011; 60; 1680.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. QuickStats: Percentage of employed adults aged 18-64 years with current asthma, skin condition, or carpal tunnel syndrome who were told their condition was work-related, by sex. MMWR 2011; 60; 1712.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (author: Luckhaupt SE). Short sleep duration among workers—United States, 2010. MMWR 2012; 61; 281-285.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. QuickStats: Percentage* of Adult Workers Aged ≥18 Years Who Reported Being Threatened, Bullied, or Harassed While on the Job, by Sex — National Health Interview Survey, United States, 2010 and 2015. MMWR 2017;66 (16);429.
Reports that Describe Illness and Injury by Industry (using NHIS Core Data)
NIOSH partnered with the University of MiamiExternal to assess worker health using NHIS core data from 1997-2007. Together, they produced a series of reports that describe the prevalence of morbidity and disability among current workers within the eight original National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA) sectors:
- Agriculture, forestry, and fishing
- Wholesale and retail trade
- Transportation, warehousing, and utilities
- Health care and social assistance
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
Using the NHIS data, NIOSH researchers and NIOSH-supported external researchers publish many articles about worker health. Find publications that used NHIS data.