The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is responsible for conducting research and making recommendations for the prevention of work-related injury and illness. Although NIOSH is generally characterized as a non-regulatory agency, guidance and recommendations issued by NIOSH are often used by other agencies responsible for developing and enforcing workplace safety and health regulations.
NIOSH is also directly responsible for several regulations. These regulations mostly outline procedures and requirements for specific health and safety related matters involving a particular industry or set forth rules for NIOSH to follow in administering programs assigned to the Institute. The regulations include rules regarding the following:
- The Coal Workers Health Surveillance Program which describes x-ray screening of underground coal miners, autopsies, and operation of the B-reader program for classifying pneumoconiosis;
- NIOSH grants and educational training programs;
- Implementation of HHS responsibilities under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness and Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA);
- Approval of respiratory protective equipment;
- Conducting investigations at places of employment for the Health Hazard Evaluation (HHE) program and for occupational safety and health research; and
- Implementation of the World Trade Center Health Program.
The NIOSH regulations are found in the following parts of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and are linked below.
Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
|42 C.F.R. pt. 37||Specifications for Medical Examinations of Underground Coal Miners|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 81||Guidelines for Determining Probability of Causation Under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act of 2000|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 82||Methods for Conducting Dose Reconstruction Under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act of 2000|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 83||Procedures for Designating Classes of Employees as Members of the Special Exposure Cohort Under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act of 2000|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 84||Approval of Respiratory Protective Devices|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 85a||Occupational Safety and Health Investigations of Places of Employment|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 85||Requests for Health Hazard Evaluations|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 86||Grants for Education Programs in Occupational Safety and Health|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 87||National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Research and Demonstration Grants|
|42 C.F.R. pt. 88||World Trade Center Health Program|
- Page last reviewed: March 28, 2018
- Page last updated: March 28, 2018
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Office of the Director