CONSTRUCTION SAFETY AND HEALTH
Falls are the number one cause of construction-worker fatalities, accounting for one-third of on-the-job deaths in the industry. On April 26, 2012, NIOSH, OSHA, and CPWR–The Center for Construction Research and Training together launched a National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction. The Campaign encourages everyone in the construction industry to work safely and use the right equipment to reduce falls. Special emphasis and activity will focus on residential construction contractors and workers.
Join our ongoing campaign and take part in the 2018 National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction: May 7-11, 2018
Listen to our 2018 joint CPWR-NIOSH-OSHA webinar, The National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction: Getting Ready for the 2018 Safety Stand-Down by clicking here or download the slides here. Presenters included: Chris Trahan Cain, Executive Director, CPWR – The Center for Construction Research and Training; Christine Branche, Ph.D, Principal Associate Director, NIOSH, and Director, Office of Construction Safety and Health; Scott Ketcham, Deputy Director, OSHA Directorate of Construction. Presenters discussed a variety of resources related to data on fatal falls as well as new materials for the 2018 Stand-Down and shared how to join the National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction and take part in the 2018 Stand-Down.
Each year, starting in 2016, as part of the National Campaign to Prevent Construction Falls, NIOSH, and CPWR work together to develop a new series of infographics both in English and Spanish. NOW POSTED ARE THE 2018 INFOGRAPHICS. View and download the infographics as PDFs or JPEGs for use in social media, presentations, and print materials.
A variety of campaign materials are available to raise awareness about construction falls and to provide practical information about fall prevention are available on the Campaign website. These include posters, fact sheets, training materials, stickers, and more. Download the 2018 National Stand-Down poster in English or Spanish to post in your community.
Watch our playlist of videos that gives insight into fall safety in the construction industry through many perspectives, from owner to safety man, to worker.
The Campaign uses a variety of strategies to reach key construction audiences with three main messages:
- Contractors and workers can plan together, before every job, to work safely at heights.
- Contractors must provide the right equipment for working at heights, and workers need to use that equipment.
- Contractors and workers need to be trained to use the equipment and to work safely.
For More Information
- To become a Campaign partner and/or access materials and resources, visit our main Campaign site
- To get information on the National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction
- To see NIOSH Press Release on the 2017 Stand-Down
- For information on NIOSH falls-related research (including the NIOSH ladder safety app)
- To get more information from OSHA on preventing falls in construction
- NIOSH FACE (Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation) Program: Search “Residential Construction Falls” or “Commercial Construction Falls” to see factors that led to those fatal injuries and recommendation for preventing similar deaths.
- 2018 NIOSH Science Blog 5th Annual National Stand Down to Prevent Falls in Construction
- 2018 NIOSH Research Rounds (April) “Falls Persistent Cause of Work-related Death“
- 2017 NIOSH Science Blog “The National Safety Stand-Down: Why Falls Remain a Deadly Problem in the Construction Sector and What We Can Do About It“
- 2017 MMWR Workers Memorial Day Edition National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction — United States
- 2016 NIOSH Science Blog “Standing–Down to Prevent Falls in Construction”
- 2016 MMWR special Workers’ Memorial Day Edition National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction — United States, 2016
- 2015 NIOSH Science Blog “The Stand-Down Is On! Join the National Safety Stand-down to Prevent Falls in Construction”
- 2015 MMWR special Workers’ Memorial Day Edition National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction — United States, 2015
- 2014 MMWR special Worker’s Memorial Day Edition – National Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction — United States, 2014
- Listen to a 2012 interview on the campaign launch featuring Dr. Christine Branche, Principle Associate Director of NIOSH and Director, Office of Construction Safety and Health, CDC and Pete Stafford, the former Executive Director of CPWR–The Center for Construction Research and Training, who jointly led the creation of this program and campaign. (View a transcript of the interview)
- Occupational Ladder Fall Injuries — United States, 2011
- Page last reviewed: March 28, 2018
- Page last updated: April 18, 2018
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Office of the Director