As an early care and education provider, you play a critical role in the health and wellbeing of children. You are also very well positioned to help identify children who might need extra help in their development. This FREE, online training course, Watch Me! Celebrating Milestones and Sharing Concerns, helps you fulfill this role by providing tools and best practices for monitoring the development of children in your care and talking about it with their parents.
This 1-hour, 4-module course focuses on:
- Why monitoring children’s development is important
- Why you have a unique and important role in developmental monitoring
- How to easily monitor each child’s developmental milestones
- How to talk with parents about their child’s development
Learning objectives for the training include:
- List three developmental concerns that early care and education providers should monitor.
- Identify at least three developmental milestones for class’s age group.
- Describe how to use “Learn the Signs. Act Early.” resources in early care and education work with children and parents.
- Describe two communication strategies to use when talking with families about their child’s development.
Continuing Education (CE) is available. You must complete all 4 modules, each quiz, and a final evaluation to qualify. Click here for instructions.
Send comments, suggestions, and feedback about this course to ActEarly@cdc.gov.
Watch Me! Celebrating Milestones and Sharing Concerns was developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Learn the Signs. Act Early.” Program in partnership with the Administration on Children and Families, the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Maternal and Child Health Bureau, American Academy of Pediatrics’ Healthy Child Care America program, Head Start National Center on Health, National Association for the Education of Young Children, Child Care Aware, and the Yale Child Study Center.
CEU: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEU's for this program.
DISCLOSURE: In compliance with continuing education requirements, all presenters must disclose any financial or other associations with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters as well as any use of unlabeled product(s) or product(s) under investigational use.
CDC, our planners, content experts, and their spouses/partners wish to disclose they have no financial interests or other relationships with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters. Planners have reviewed content to ensure there is no bias.
Content will not include any discussion of the unlabeled use of a product or a product under investigational use.
CDC did not accept commercial support for this activity.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEU's for this program.
Developmental monitoring is easy with CDC’s free milestones checklists and other resources
Learn more about child development, developmental monitoring, and developmental screening
- Page last reviewed: May 16, 2016
- Page last updated: May 16, 2016
- Content source: