Alcohol Use During Pregnancy Can Lead to Lifelong Effects
Alcohol use during pregnancy can lead to lifelong effects
Up to 1 in 20 US school children may have FASDs
People with FASDs can experience a mix of the following problems:
- low birth weight and growth.
- problems with heart, kidneys, and other organs.
- damage to parts of the brain.
Which leads to…
Behavioral and intellectual disabilities
- learning disabilities and low IQ
- difficulty with attention
- poor ability to communicate in social situations
- poor reasoning and judgment skills
These can lead to…
Lifelong issues with
- school and social skills
- living independently
- mental health
- substance use
- keeping a job
- trouble with the law
Drinking while pregnant costs the US $5.5 billion (2010).
SOURCES: CDC Vital Signs, February 2016. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, November 2015.
- Page last reviewed: September 8, 2017
- Page last updated: September 8, 2017
- Content source: