Information for Zoos About Bringing an Animal into the U.S.
The same CDC regulations that apply to animals for individual use also apply for zoos. These regulations allow for exceptions, as determined by the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine. We can supply written permission for importation of restricted animals such as nonhuman primates or African rodents, for use in scientific research institutions and educational exhibits.
To apply for permission, please mail or fax a letter providing the following information:
- What species of animal is to be imported
- How many will be imported
- The animal’s country of origin
- How the animal will be kept safe and unable to escape
- The identity of the party responsible for meeting the animal upon arrival into the U.S.
This letter can be faxed to the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine at 404-639-4441, or mailed to:
CDC, Division of Global Migration and Quarantine
Animal Import Program
1600 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30333