Nutrition, Physical Activity, & Obesity Data & Statistics
This section data about youth dietary and physical activity behaviors and about school policies and practices to encourage healthy eating, and physical activity, and prevent obesity. These data are collected through surveillance systems administered by CDC’s Division of Adolescent and School Health.
- Youth Online - Dietary Behaviors
- Youth Online - Physical Activity
- Youth Online - Obesity, Overweight, and Weight Control
- The Obesity Epidemic and United States Students [PDF - 213 KB]
- Trends in the Prevalence of Obesity, Dietary Behaviors, and Weight Control Practices, National YRBS: 1991-2015 [PDF - 191 KB]
- Trends in the Prevalence of Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviors, National YRBS: 1991-2015 [PDF - 160 KB]
* Previous YRBS reports used the terms "overweight" to describe those youth with a BMI ≥ to 95th percentile for age and sex and "at risk for overweight" for those with a BMI ≥ 85th percentile and < 95th percentile. However, this report uses the terms "obese" and "overweight" in accordance with the 2007 recommendations from the Expert Committee on the Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity convened by the American Medical Association (AMA) and cofunded by AMA in collaboration with the Health Resources and Services Administration and the CDC.
- Page last reviewed: June 9, 2016
- Page last updated: June 9, 2016
- Content source: