National School COVID-19 Prevention Study (NSCPS)
- CDC launched the National School COVID-19 Prevention Study to better understand COVID-19 prevention strategies in schools, such as mask policies, physical distancing, and ventilation improvements.
- The ongoing series of surveys are being administered to school-level designees (e.g., principals) in a nationally representative sample of K-12 schools.
What is the National School COVID-19 Prevention Study (NSCPS)?
The National School COVID-19 Prevention Study is a study conducted by CDC, through a contract with ICF, to better understand COVID-19 prevention strategies in schools.
A nationally representative sample of K-12 schools has been invited to complete a series of surveys at multiple timepoints starting in Summer 2021. This ongoing series of surveys will document COVID-19 prevention strategies schools implemented during the 2020-2021 school year, as well as the strategies used in the 2021-2022 school year.
These surveys will be completed by a school-level designee (e.g., principals) and will provide school-level data on the following topics:
- Efforts to promote COVID-19 vaccinations
- Mask use policies and practices
- Physical distancing
- Screening and diagnostic testing for COVID-19
- Ventilation improvements and practices
- Quarantine, isolation, and contact tracing
- COVID-19 cases among students and staff
How will NSCPS data be used?
NSCPS will help us understand COVID-19 prevention strategies K-12 schools are implementing, barriers and facilitators to implementing these strategies, and the effectiveness of these strategies in preventing transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
Survey data will be linked to other available data sources such as indicators of COVID-19 community transmission and vaccination coverage to better understand connections between schools’ strategies and these broader factors related to COVID-19.
In addition, given the longitudinal nature of the data, NSCPS will be used to document changes in implementation of COVID-19 prevention strategies over time.
The NSCPS will provide nationally representative data on an ongoing basis to inform CDC guidance on COVID-19 prevention in schools.